Question R9 290 help

Dec 7, 2020
Hello,
Not too long ago I posted about an issue I have with a reference R9 290 - I could not get it to work with an old Intel DH61WW motherboard - the R9 290 fan would spin but it would not be detected.
Ok, I thought the old board does simply not support this card.
Now I tried with another old board I found - Gigabyte H61M-D2-B3. And, again it did not work together!
So once again I was thinking OK that's also an old board and it does not support it.. just carry on, but then a Google search of "R9 290 + H61M-D2-B3" showed the following result:
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15525588

How come someone did a benchmark of these 2 together and it worked, but for me it doesn't? The main difference is the 95w i5-2500 where I'm currently using a Pentium G630. Could it be related? Or what else could be the reason that someone else got his R9 290 to work with the same old Gigabyte board and I can't?

To remind you some of the details from my previous post:
-The R9 290 works so far with a B450M-Pro4 with no apparent issues
-The PSU I'm using on all my tests is the same PSU, so that's not the issue
-Other cards work without issues on the Intel and GIgabyte boards
-When I connect the R9 290 to the Intel or Gigabyte board, the fan of the R9 290 spins at a very high RPM, but no output.
-At first I thought the PC doesn't post at all when I connect the R9 290 - but it does actually post only through the iGPU ports

Thank you

Dec 7, 2020
**I would like to add that on the Intel board, when I change in BIOS the option to use the R9 290 only, without the iGPU, it beeps with code of "No video adapter" as seen in the board's manual. So completely no detection

Have you booted all the way into your OS to see if the R9 is detected there? The BIOSes could default to initialize to IGP first instead of PCIe or Auto. This wouldn't be surprising on H61.

The Intel board has several options regarding this:

1. It can show you what devices are connected to which PCIE ports - And nothing shows up with the R9 290 (And other cards do show up)
  2. It has an option to boot only from external GPU which I did but then no output at all
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium G630
RAM: G. Skill Value Series 1x8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
STORAGE: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750 White - V2
(Motherboards tested: Intel DH61WW, Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 Rev 1.0)