R9 290 losing power when gaming

Oct 6, 2018
Hi guys,

so I am using a second hand r9 290, His branded, with what seems to be an aftermarket cooler; Arctic Accelero Xtreme III (https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Accelero-Xtreme-III-Pre-applied/dp/B007YLUCKQ). It was working fine for a while however, now when I am gaming the card seems to literally lose power (fans stop spinning abruptly, monitor loses signal, sometimes accompanied with a buzzing sound however not always). The PC used to restart when it crashed, but now it just hangs, with all other fans spinning including the cpu cooler fan.

I downloaded MSI Afterburner and decreased core voltage by 50v (?) And also decreased the power limit by 10-15%, along with putting the fan speed to 100%. This seemed to work for a while, preventing the card from crashing. I can confirm this as if I forgot to apply these settings before starting to game, the crashes would always occur.

However, now it seems that this little fix doesn't work anymore and even if i am not gaming, the GPU will lose power.

Was my card on its last legs (dying) and those msi afterburner settings were only prolonging its life, or does this seem to be another issue?

I sadly cannot RMA the card. It is just a shame really, because when it works, it works perfectly as it should.

My power supply is 650w and have also used a corsair 750w one, which lead to the same results. I do not think the GPU is overheating as it only gets to around 50 degrees celcius. I am not sure however if the thermometer is not accurately measuring the temps.

Another thing I might add is the green led light started coming on, however now it does not.

If anyone could provide any assistance it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Full system specs, including the model numbers of both power supplies you have tried?

CPU, motherboard, memory modules, PSU, GPU card, case, case fan arrangement, all of this could be relevant and the more information you can provide the less we have to guess or ask about.

TRENDING THREADS