R9 290 (not) waking up my monitors..

ZeeSteen

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
So I have an R9 290 tri-X with 2 screens connected. One is connected over HDMI and one over DVI.

When my system goes to sleep and I try to resume, NONE of them wake up.
When I restart my system only the HDMI one wakes up UNLESS I unplug and replug my DVI cable afterwards, then the system recognises it again and I can use my 2 monitors...

Both monitors do get detected during the system booting up to the point of windows loading. The the moment between windows finishing the loading (and drivers getting loaded?) and the login screen, my DVI connected screen goes into sleep mode (untill I reconnect it)

This problem has been present for both the beta drivers and the new 'omega drivers'. Seriously this is starting to annoy me a lot..I've always had ATI GPU's and to be fair I've ALWAYS had some sort of issue.. I should have learned my lesson by now..

EDIT - more information as requested by Huilun02

I have an i5 4670K Haswell processor.
My PSU as a seasonic M12ii 620 bronze, I'm not sure if it supports ULPS
The 2 monitors are not identical:
- Dell U2312HM 23' 1080p (connected through DVI)
- HP w2207h 22' WSXGA+ (connected through HDMI)

I've tried "extending" my screen to the second sleeping screen while in windows but that doesn't help. Only replugging the DVI cable gets it detected and working again.

Solution

Sarcasm is uncalled for, it's no one else's fault but your own that you can't accept the fact that AMD have driver issues even though AMD themselves accept that they have driver issues. And as this particular issue has been afflicting AMD cards since the HD5xxx series it is becoming tiresome that a solution has yet to be found.

ZeeSteen

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

I have an i5 4670K Haswell processor.
My PSU as a seasonic M12ii 620 bronze, I'm not sure if it supports ULPS
The 2 monitors are not identical:
- Dell U2312HM 23' 1080p (connected through DVI)
- HP w2207h 22' (WSXGA+, so yeah 'almost' 1080p :p) (connected through HDMI)

I've tried "extending" my screen to the second sleeping screen while in windows but that doesn't help. Only replugging the DVI cable gets it detected and working again.

Is your desktop extended into the second monitor in the first place?

Also you might want to check power settings, and disable Link State Power Management under PCI Express.

I doubt your PSU is causing the problem.

Googling this problem turned up a lot of people in similar situation, and the vast majority did not get it fixed.

People get this even with Nvidia graphics cards. One post did however, find out that a lot of Asus motherboards cause this problem when PLL Overvoltage is enabled in the BIOS.

I got no other possible solution other than to switch cable type for the more problematic monitor.

I've had similar issues with my 7790 and the only thing that seems to have cured the problem is one particular driver (14.2) this doesn't appear to be the case for everyone though and it doesn't help that AMD themselves don't seem to know what causes the problem or if they do they are being very quiet about it.

Sarcasm is uncalled for, it's no one else's fault but your own that you can't accept the fact that AMD have driver issues even though AMD themselves accept that they have driver issues. And as this particular issue has been afflicting AMD cards since the HD5xxx series it is becoming tiresome that a solution has yet to be found.

Solution