R9 290 not working?

Acesune

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
So I just recently built a new rig, which has de r9 290 in, although when I was building it I went on and connected both the 8 and 6 pin connectors to it, and when I powered it up it didnt show any signal into my monitor. At first I didnt know this was the issue so I tried (by pure luck) just connecting the 8 pin cable and voila the monitor got a signal. The problem is that my mobo isnt recognizing the gpu, whenever I get into the BIOS to check for hardware it states that my pci slot has nothing attached to it. It wont let me install the graphics card drivers either since the auto detect program from amd doesnt recognize any amd GPU. And If I try downloading it manually whenever it starts intalling the software I just get the "installation failed" message.

After this happening I tried connecting the 6 pin cable again, and my monitor didn't get any signal AGAIN, BUT I could hear windows starting, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I tried installing it in different pci-e slots but still didnt get recognized. I know the card powers up since the fans start rolling whenever I power on my pc. I still haven't tried connecting the monitor directly into the gpu since I'm using vga type.

Hope someone is able to help me.
Specs:
i5 4460
h97m pro4
8gb ram
750w psu

Solution
The monitor needs to be plugged into the card. The on board is being disabled automatically when the dedicated card is plugged in. However the 290 does not support a vga signal all its outputs are digital only. A standard dvi-i to vga adapter won't work on a dvi-d port. It requires an active dvi-d to vga converter. They cost ~$25. It's either buy a converter or a new monitor that uses a digital connection.

bignastyid

Titan
The monitor needs to be plugged into the card. The on board is being disabled automatically when the dedicated card is plugged in. However the 290 does not support a vga signal all its outputs are digital only. A standard dvi-i to vga adapter won't work on a dvi-d port. It requires an active dvi-d to vga converter. They cost ~$25. It's either buy a converter or a new monitor that uses a digital connection.

Solution

Acesune

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

Oh so that's why! welp I was suspecting that was why but was clueless where to start, thank you! Btw, when I get the converter/new monitor I NEED to connect both 8 and 6 pins to the gpu right?