r9 290 OC or gtx 780 OC for gaming

Schrammbo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I'm stuck on which GPU to get, this is my first build so I'm not sure about performances of cards. Most benchmark tests for these two cards suggest that the 290 is better, but with the 780 being a bit more expensive I thought it would be better, or am I just paying for the NVidia logo and better drivers? Also most benchmarks are at standard clock rates and I plan to overclock whichever card I choose so the results aren't what I would be seeing. I may also crossfire or SLI in the future (and I'm not sure if the motherboard will support this?). which card should I go for? And which manufacturer would you recommend :)

this is the build I would put it on, maybe with a devils canyon i5 4690k

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KwcCFT

any comments on the build are appreciated as well :)

at 1080p it won't matter. above that the 290 is the better choice by a margin, especially when you include bang for buck. The 780 is more efficient and runs cooler where the tahiti core is known for it's heat issues even with decent coolers. I would go for a sapphire, asus, gigabyte or msi 290.

at 1440p the 290 is generally faster and the tri x is one of the best 290s out there for performance and cooling.

even with 290x in SLI 4k is tough. GPUs haven't caught up yet so if you plan on 4k you should also plan on a whole new GPU set up when the next gen stuff comes out.

Schrammbo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
i thought that dual 290s would do 4k but its not for a at least a year yet so might be able to upgrade :) do you know if the motherboard i have got on my build will support dual 290s?