R9 290 Temperatures

toobywedge

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Hey,
My now 3 year old Gigabyte R9 290 OC Windforce has been reaching 84 degrees constantly, even with the lightest of gaming. When I set my fans to 100% it still reaches 84 degrees and throttles by lowering the core clock from the default 1040 to sub 900. I was wondering if I could maybe reapply some thermal paste to help with the temperatures? It sucks having the fans at full speed and having it still throttle, I'm not running any of my own overclocks. Would this be a wise thing to do? Or have I got any other options? The card is now 3 years old.
I am also using a Zalman Z11 with 3 fans.
Thanks!

My specs:
Intel Core i7 4770
Gigabyte R9 290 OC Windforce
16GB RAM
Asus Z87-C
Zalman Z11

Solution
Reapply thermal paste, set BIOS to Performance.

Reference R9 290 works fine at 94C, so at Performance mode it usually throttles at 95C while Quiet mode does it at 84C.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
If it has only started doing it recently and temps used to be good i would for sure consider applying new thermal paste. Also make sure your cooling setup is well positioned, what i mean by that is good intake and exhaust from the fans not just randomly chucked in whatever way was put in at the time. Other than better system cooling and re-applying thermal paste not much else you can do but buy a new card if neither of the previous works. Hope this helps :)

toobywedge

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013

Thanks! It's been doing it for quite a while actually, probably like a year I think. It's probably worth giving new thermal paste a shot, only like $4 for a tube anyway. Thanks again :)

Theri0n

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Reapply thermal paste, set BIOS to Performance.

Reference R9 290 works fine at 94C, so at Performance mode it usually throttles at 95C while Quiet mode does it at 84C.

Solution