[SOLVED] R9 290 -> Upgrade time!

So, within the next month or two, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU. I'm looking at cards in the $400 - $500 USD range. My PC is primarily for gaming. I'm currently playing League of Legends, Minecraft, Destiny 2, Far Cry series, The Forest, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Here's my current system:

GPU: R9 290
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
PSU: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold
Storage: WD Blue 500 GB NVMe, 500 GB Crucial SSD, 500 GB Toshiba SSD, and a 1 TB Seagate HD.
Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower
Monitor: Asus 1080p

I've been looking at something like a 2060 Super, 2070 Super, 5600 XT, 5700 XT, Vega 64. But, I keep hearing about all the upcoming GPUs that could be on the way. So, I'm torn if I should go ahead and buy one now to finally have my system upgraded and be done with it. Or, if it would be worth it to wait a bit.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Solution
The next generation nVidia cards are rumored to debut sometime in August. If you want a card now, a 2060 Super will fit within your budget. A 2070 Super is currently a little bit above your budget, but you may be able to find one for right around $500.

Last year I upgraded from an R9 290 to a 2060 Super. Overall, I'm really pleased with the card. The temperatures are fantastic - it stays below 70. My temps on the r9 290 were always a bit high for my liking. The only issue I have with the 2060 Super is performance takes a hit when I turn on Ray Tracing. Currently, I only play BF5 at 1080p on Ultra without RT and it plays great. If I turn on RT, performance definitely suffers. The next gen nVidia cards are supposed to...
If you wait, better things are always on the horizon, but that holds true indefinitely. You can wait forever, there will always be something better around the corner or pick something up now and enjoy it. 5600xt seems like a solid choice on your list for value and performance.

That being said I'm waiting for big Navi and ryzen 4000 before I upgrade my 670/xeon e3-1285l v4

Reactions: BO7H B4RRELS
The next generation nVidia cards are rumored to debut sometime in August. If you want a card now, a 2060 Super will fit within your budget. A 2070 Super is currently a little bit above your budget, but you may be able to find one for right around $500.

Last year I upgraded from an R9 290 to a 2060 Super. Overall, I'm really pleased with the card. The temperatures are fantastic - it stays below 70. My temps on the r9 290 were always a bit high for my liking. The only issue I have with the 2060 Super is performance takes a hit when I turn on Ray Tracing. Currently, I only play BF5 at 1080p on Ultra without RT and it plays great. If I turn on RT, performance definitely suffers. The next gen nVidia cards are supposed to have a more RT cores, which should improve RT performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7H B4RRELS
Solution

TRENDING THREADS