[SOLVED] R9 290x artifacts,stretching,flickering and crashing

Sella

Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
Hey!
So as the title says I have a AMD R9 290x with the stock cooler that has the issues mentioned in the title. It all started about two days ago while i watching a youtube video. It just crashed and gave me a black screen. At first when I was powering up the PC it would show me the windows loading screen and then it would freeze showing me a black screen with a couple of artifacts. I thought it was a windows issue so i did a Windows reset but it didnt help. I uninstalled the drivers using DDU, tried older versions, tried professional versions of the drivers but no progress. The PC boots up just fine using the onboard graphics card of the CPU(that's how i managed to do the driver installations) so it's definitely the dedicated one that's faulty. I also tried switching pci e slots,flipping the BIOS switch on the card but the problem insists.

So basically I've reach a point were I can boot up the PC using the 290x and after monitoring it a few times with MSI afterburner it seems that the issues appear as soon as it reaches 56-57 degrees Celsius which is ridiculous since the cards limit is 95 but remember its an AMD card. Artifacts start to appear, stretching, flickering and eventually it crashes. I've never overclocked it btw but with my limited knowledge it seems to be an issue that is related to that in some way.

Now the easy solution would be to replace it since it's an old card but I can't afford that at the moment.

Lastly, English is not my first language(you can probably tell) so bear with me.

My PC specs:
CPU: Intel i5-6500 3.2Ghz
RAM: Hyper X Fury 2666Mhz 2 x 4GB and 1 x 8GB
Mobo: Asrock Z170 K4 Gaming
GPU: AMD R9 290x 4GB GDDR5 with stock cooler
PSU: Coolermaster G650M

Solution
Generally this indicates the death of the card. There really isn't much you can do at this point. You might try the oven approach but that is at very best a temporary solution, if it does anything at all. You could also try to pull the cooler off and apply new thermal compound to see if that helps a bit. A good cleaning of the card is unlikely to do anything, but it couldn't hurt.

So, replacement is most likely necessary at this point. The good news is that a used RX 570 or 580 are about the same performance and pretty cheap on the used market.

Alternatively it might be a power supply issue... but if the rest of the system is running fine, it is less likely.
Generally this indicates the death of the card. There really isn't much you can do at this point. You might try the oven approach but that is at very best a temporary solution, if it does anything at all. You could also try to pull the cooler off and apply new thermal compound to see if that helps a bit. A good cleaning of the card is unlikely to do anything, but it couldn't hurt.

So, replacement is most likely necessary at this point. The good news is that a used RX 570 or 580 are about the same performance and pretty cheap on the used market.

Alternatively it might be a power supply issue... but if the rest of the system is running fine, it is less likely.

Solution

novalyfe

Commendable
Aug 26, 2017
Does your card have random gpu usage spikes following a black screen or other instabilities? Because if you look at my threat in the GPU section our problems are very similar! Only difference is you have the 290X where as I have the 290.

Sella

Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
Does your card have random gpu usage spikes following a black screen or other instabilities? Because if you look at my threat in the GPU section our problems are very similar! Only difference is you have the 290X where as I have the 290.
From what i've noticed it almost always runs at 1250 Mhz even when idle. Will try to boot it up again and provide some screenshots, if it doesn't crash from the start up.

Sella

Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
Here are some screenshots:
4KlrehZ.png

KIkZV3f.png

One from my phone in fear that it will crash.
EDfOk4D.jpg

Those screenshots were taken directly after I fired up the computer. I also set the fan speed a bit higher in hopes that it will stay alive a bit longer but it crashed a few seconds after when i tried to open my browser and go on youtube to record the GPUs behaviour under load.

I also have a very short log but i dont think i can upload the txt file so i ll just post screenshots of it. It kept going till it crashed so the last entry should be around when it died.

fUFG7Dn.png

RUec0UM.png

Sella

Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
After some further testing with Furmark i've managed to complete a couple of tests but the flickering and artifacts still appeared. The card reached temperatures of 70 degrees but i ve manually set the fan to 70% beforehand. I've also switched the power cables of the card. Only after i replaced them i could complete the Furmark tests, before it would crash instantly upon starting the test. But that could be completely unrelated?
I've also noticed that when the screen blacks out during the tests or after crashing the fan speed goes down slightly. So something is either overheating really bad or there is a power issue?
nxEAmbR.png

Yeap there is some part of the window missing because of all the flickering

Last edited: