Question R9 290X Black Screen and all PC fans 100% speed when trying to install drivers ?

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
Hi,
I recently picked up an old PC from a friend that they hadn't run in a few years but previously they couldn't get to boot to Windows (they aren't very tech savvy so didn't want to try to fix it and just bought something new).
I've been able to resolve enough of the issues through cleaning it and replacing what seemed to be a failing AIO pump with an air cooler that I can run the PC through integrated graphics or my GTX 660 and it is stable.

However, the R9 290X that was in the system causes some issues. Firstly, it causes a 'CPU Fan Error!' warning on startup, which without it does not appear and the BIOS recognises the CPU fan just fine (the CPU fan still runs even with the GPU in despite this error and so no overheating occurs). Then, after booting and getting into windows, the card will black screen and set all fans in the system to run at what seems like full speed, but does not shut off, so I have to force a shut down.

So far, I have tried updating the BIOS, changing the PCIE slot I put the card in, installing older drivers and installing the drivers through device manager from my PC to avoid downloading AMD Adrenaline in case it was messing anything up. I have also used DDU to clean the driver installs before attempting to reinstall each time.

Any ideas for what may be causing the issue and how it could be resolved would be super appreciated. Thanks :)

Components:
Mobo: Sabertooth Z87
PSU: Corsair RM 850
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
CPU: Intel i7-4770k
SSD: Crucial MX500
Broken GPU: Sapphire R9 290X 4GB
Working test GPU: MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the Corsair PSU in the build? A PSU advertised for 850W of power will not do so over time due to wear and tear(internal capacitor degradation). The other thing to note, is that the power requirements of both cards are not the same. The next thing to note is that both GPU's need their own set of drivers. Did you use DDU prior to removing the GPU and swapping over the other?

You're advised to download all necessary drivers, manually from support site for the GPU's maker(AMD or Nvidia) and then manually install said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

On that note, what OS are you working with?

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
How old is the Corsair PSU in the build? A PSU advertised for 850W of power will not do so over time due to wear and tear(internal capacitor degradation). The other thing to note, is that the power requirements of both cards are not the same. The next thing to note is that both GPU's need their own set of drivers. Did you use DDU prior to removing the GPU and swapping over the other?

You're advised to download all necessary drivers, manually from support site for the GPU's maker(AMD or Nvidia) and then manually install said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

On that note, what OS are you working with?

OS is Windows 10.
Unfortunately I can't know for sure how old the PSU was but it looked substantially cleaner than everything else in the case when I got it so I would have assumed it was the newest thing in there. The only other PSU I have is a used 500w one that I don't think is super high quality, I just got it temporarily for an old PC, so I don't know if it would be sufficient to test with.
I used DDU to remove any AMD drivers before swapping in the 290X, would having NVIDIA drivers still installed interfere with the AMD drivers? It didn't seem like the 290X was trying to use NVIDIA drivers because it boots to Basic Display Adapter output.

The GPU needs to be cleaned and the thermal paste and Memory pads replaced.
That card has been absolutely cooking those elements for the last 3 to 4 years!
The card is and was very hot.
Even today that card offers respectable 1080p fps.

With a lil effort, it will again. Your setup while older, still has a lot of game left in it,if you can accept turning settings down.

Good luck!

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
The GPU needs to be cleaned and the thermal paste and Memory pads replaced.
That card has been absolutely cooking those elements for the last 3 to 4 years!
The card is and was very hot.
Even today that card offers respectable 1080p fps.

With a lil effort, it will again. Your setup while older, still has a lot of game left in it,if you can accept turning settings down.

Good luck!

I have cleaned and re-pasted the card since I got it though I didn't replace the pads. Could be worth a go. In the meantime, I have tried an RX 570 in the system and it also black screened, until I switched the which 6+2 PCIE connector I was using from the same cable of the PSU and that appears to have got it running stable. So I feel like the issue is perhaps a faulty PCIE connector on a cable on the PSU. Am I able to get replacements for that? Because I hear mixing and matches cables for modular PSUs is a fire hazard. If I get a cable from the same manufacturer designed for the exact PSU I am using will that be okay?