R9 290x DVI Port isn't detecting my second monitor

• Thread starter Deleted member 1679688
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1679688

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to drivers and haven't updated my gpu drivers when there was a new release for the 290x. However after getting tired of my PC bluescreening and odd vertical lines popping up randomly on my screen I installed Catalyst 14.11.2 (I know that's not the newest one) which took a long time to do because the installer failed to load detected driver. Long story short I finally installed the driver, however when the screen went black a few times only my left monitor (which is on HDMI) was displaying and the one on the right (DVI) is not displaying (or detected on windows or CCC).

I'm currently on version 14.12 of CCC and both the OS and CCC cannot detect the monitor. When I boot up my computer I can see my motherboard's logo on both screens until windows boots up. I understand that rolling back my drivers to the version that did detect my monitor would easily fix this issue but I can't stand my computer crashing because I'm using old drivers.

PC Specs
Asus Chrosshair V Formula Z
AMD FX-9590
32 GB AMD 2400 Mhz RAM
Asus Directcu II R9 290x
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

D

Deleted member 1679688

Cooler Master 1200W Gold Silent Pro (this is way more than I needed)

I've already uninstalled the drivers multiple times (and reinstalled them) it does resolve the problem but I don't want to have old drivers. I would roll them back to a driver before 14.11 but I can't find a version of Catalyst earlier than that.

D

Deleted member 1679688

I actually think there might be something wrong with my PSU but that's another story

And nosir it doesn't detect it even if it's the only one. It detects both of them at boot but after windows boots the monitor goes black.

D

Deleted member 1679688

Sorry guys I didn't respond with what my solution was or close the thread (I'm new here) I was reading and I don't know if this actually is what was wrong but from what I believe the drivers in my monitor were so old that my gpu (with its new drivers) literally cannot detect it the dvi dual link monitor. I however am running a second monitor with dvi single link (d/i i'm not sure) and it works fine even though it's an old box monitor (4:3 aspect) but I don't know how old it is. I'm not actually sure if this was what the problem was and one of the solutions would be to update your monitor's drivers (LikeItOrNot117 try that) but unfortunately the newest drivers I could install were from 2009 so dell really stopped supporting my monitor.

TRENDING THREADS