R9 290x OC

wiplasher5

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
So I think I have a bad PSU and trying to make sure so I need a yes or no if what I am doing would confirm this.

I have the Sapphire Tri-X R9 290x that I wanted to OC as soon as I got it. I know not to mess with the memory clock as that usually always causes issues but core clock I slide up to 1050stock is 1000 I than ran up the voltage just a tad but like 1% computer than flickered screen black then back on and than after a few seconds computer went black and became unresponsive. I decided to leave it alone till I noticed bad fps in all my games. So I turned the GPU voltage up to see if it was my PSU and it crashed the same way as last time.

So it is the PSU that is limiting and not a crap card that I need to ship back ya?

Solution
that is a much better psu with all the power you would need for your system oc'ed or not :D keep in mind the 300w is for the gpu stock. your oc will push it closer to the 350w it can actually pull. the mobo gives it 75w, 6 pin 75w and the 8 pin 150w so it can actually pull a max or 350w.

enjoy your oc!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
300w is only the gpu, the rest of the system needs power as well, plus inefficiencies and other factors such as crappy psu's. that psu is one of the junk psu's on the market. it says 600w but does not provide anywhere near that much!! it has 36 12v amps. i have a 375w psu that gives 36 12v amps!! this is only 432 watts to the card and system. factor in inefficiencies and it is clear the issues you are seeing is the psu not giving enough power for it all to run.

you will need to replace that psu with a better quality one that actually provides the power it says it does. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html something from the top 2 levels of this list is what you need. looking around partpicker here are a few choices that will provide the power you need in a quality unit. these were chosen on price as well as watts so may be more power than needed but a good price.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr%2Cseasonic-power-supply-m12ii620bronze%2Csilverstone-power-supply-st70fes/

wiplasher5

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Ah okay thanks I misread what you meant by 600. Thanks for filling me in on all this.

I got this Antec High Current Gamer ATX12V/EPS12V 750 Power Supply HCG-M 750 ordered yesterday.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that is a much better psu with all the power you would need for your system oc'ed or not :D keep in mind the 300w is for the gpu stock. your oc will push it closer to the 350w it can actually pull. the mobo gives it 75w, 6 pin 75w and the 8 pin 150w so it can actually pull a max or 350w.

enjoy your oc!

Solution