[SOLVED] R9 290x overheating

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
The mentioned GPU usually ran smoothly for all the years since I had it. But after I have gotten Jedi fallen order, my entire computer crashes when playing the game after maybe 15 to 20min. Then it keeps starting up and shutting down continuously, GPU fans running at full throttle. I have to press and hold the power button until it stops. The GPU is so hot, I could most likely fry an egg on it.
Don't ask me about temperature, I have no idea how to measure that. But I can say that I can feel the heat coming from the tower. I have tried with an open case, no success. During normal operation, such as surfing the net, doing general things on window such as Word, the GPU never gets hot or the fans running at full speed. Only when playing recent games.

So I thought I play other games that ran usually fine for hours such as Resi 2 remake, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Doom 2016, regardless the GPU getting hot as well, it never crashed my computer. But now the GPU overheats when playing them and crashes my computer after maybe 20min.

I think my card had it. I do have it since 2015, I think, and I live in a tropical environment. Would a new GPU solve that issue? Can't really afford a new PC. I have read about thermal paste on GPU's but I have never done that and would have no idea how to do it. And before you ask, yes, I made sure everything is dust free and clean as such.

Current hardware:
i7 4790 3.6 ghz (not overclocked)
R9 290x 4gb
AsRock Fatality Z97 X Killer series
Win 7 64 bit

Solution
Time to replace the thermal paste on the GPU. It's the same concept as a CPU cooler. (GPU dies generally tend to be smaller than the IHS on a CPU, so adjust the amount of thermal paste used accordingly (CPU gets a grain of rice amount)
Time to replace the thermal paste on the GPU. It's the same concept as a CPU cooler. (GPU dies generally tend to be smaller than the IHS on a CPU, so adjust the amount of thermal paste used accordingly (CPU gets a grain of rice amount)

Solution

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Alright, done that. First my computer kept starting up and shutting down all the time as it did before. But after some swearing and time, my computer finally started up normally.
Seems to work so far. The card still gets hot but not as in burning hot as it was before. I also switched the graphic settings to medium in Jedi to be on the save side and could play for over 30min without crashing.
Will see about other games but for the moment, it did the job.