kapul4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Greetings, I have custom made R9 290X with hybrid cooling, temps under load never go above 35c and VRMs always stay under 70c. Gpu also has ASCI rating of 80.1% so in theory it should be great for overclocking. Because of that, and because stock voltage is pretty low (1192mv is max you can put in Radeon tuning settings, I mean that is the stock, only thing that you can do is undervolt), I went for a search for a different bios. I found out every bios I find, limit in tuning settings is 1192mv. I went to search further and found out that there is a modded 390X bios for 290X bios with unlocked voltage and optimized memory timings and things like that. I flashed it and I was quiet happy to find out that it works, gpu is recognized as R9 290X in gpuz, but some other apps report it as R9 390X. After flashing, I fired up Superposition and it gave me score of about 2700(highest recorded is 2779 for Lightning edition) on 1080p extreme settings with clocks of around 1100/1350 with 50% power tune limit. But the issue with this bios is that now Radeon tuner has reduced the limit to 1188mv compared to old 1192mv and I cannot raise it any further even thou voltage is unlocked on this bios. Because of this, max core clock with this bios is around 1100 before it crashes,compared to old 1130, max I could get without crashing in one whole gaming session, while memory can go above 1500 like before but I found out there is no need for going above 1350 cuz there is no performance increase. Actually, with this bios I could get the core to 1150/1400 memory and run Superposition, and that would give me a score of about 2760, but as soon as I fire up any game, driver would crash. So, is there a way to increase voltage limit in Radeon tuner, without using 3rd party softwares like afterburner?

Last edited:
Solution
Hawaii is a toaster and will warm up your room nicely during the winter. But if you keep pushing it - it will break. Higher voltage leads to higher power consumption (than the one the card was engineered for). Not only the ICs but the whole circuitry, including the PCB and even power connectors.
Unless you are an experimenting enthusiast (in that case, look for a BIOS tool for your card, voltages and memory timings are preset there and controlled by the driver), otherwise - leave it alone while it still works.
Hawaii is a toaster and will warm up your room nicely during the winter. But if you keep pushing it - it will break. Higher voltage leads to higher power consumption (than the one the card was engineered for). Not only the ICs but the whole circuitry, including the PCB and even power connectors.
Unless you are an experimenting enthusiast (in that case, look for a BIOS tool for your card, voltages and memory timings are preset there and controlled by the driver), otherwise - leave it alone while it still works.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS