R9 295x2 or wait for Nvidia?

drojman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
41
0
18,530
0
Hi all,

The R9 295x2 is about to get a substantial price cut (£400 off) locally and I'm seriously considering it. Is it worth the money for that or is it better to wait on Nvidias 800 series and SLI them? I can't imagine they'd match the price performance...

Thanks.
 

If you're done with the thread, you should pick a Best Answer.
 

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
281
0
10,860
31
Option three is a GTX titan Z if you are rich and a nvidia fanboy!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487038

Then again, it costs twice as much as a 295x2 and is worse.

Seriously though, everything the above posters said is true. We aren't going to waiting too long for the 900 series nvidia (They are skipping the 800 series to avoid confusion with mobile GPUs aparently). It is likely betetr off to wait.

However, one thing to consider is that AMD is being closelipped about whether the 295 price drop is temporary or not. If you are really sure you want that kind of performance/heat, it may be worth it to pull the trigger now rather then missing the promotion.

Out of curiosity, what resolution/refresh are you running that you need a 295?
 

drojman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
41
0
18,530
0
Hi fellas, sorry took so long to reply.

In the end I did go for the 295x2, simply because I was able to get it subsidised so I basically got it for £400. For that kind of price I can't say no. Thank you for all your help though, in any other situation you'd be right.
 

If you're done with the thread, you should pick a Best Answer.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY