[SOLVED] R9 380 4 Gb crashing

Aug 4, 2019
Hello guys,

Recently I’ve upgraded my Samsung rv 711 laptop:
i5 cpu
8gb ram
ssd disk
and sapphire amd radeon r9 380 4 gb external graphics card with Corsair vs650 psu.
As external monitor I’m using tv. Good for movies and racing gaming and etc.

Problem I’m facing are crashes. Laptop keep restarting with this graphic card. I’ve been playing with drivers at first place. So older drivers are better but still laptop keep restarting every hour or so. Just before restart i hear a buzzing sound and then restart.

Please help me as I just stuck and going nowhere.

Many thanks in advance

Solution
When a manufacturer says you need X psu, they mean for an entire system. Because you have a laptop you are only powering the gpu. Everything else is powered by the laptop. Your gpu is a sub 200W gpu, so 650W is way overkill. I honestly don't think it's a power issue.

It might be a drive issue still. But I'm not sure where to start with that. I've been hoping someone else would come along with ideas.
Aug 4, 2019
CPU temps? I suspect your laptop can't handle long loads of feeding the 380. After awhile the heat builds up and it fails.

Can't give you exact figures, as I’m away atm, but same issue was before cpu upgrade and after.
I suspect psu is to low power.

Once i get back I’ll check cpu temps. If that appears as issue what gpu can i use then?

4745454b

Titan
Easy now. I can't tell you the number of times someone gives me something still "broken" after they cleaned it and I open it to find incredible amounts of dirt still in it. As a laptop it would be hard to open everything and make sure it got cleaned. Which is why I asked if it got opened or just shot with air through the vents.

I'm still not sure it's a temp issue. In my first reply I asked what they are and you haven't said anything. Fire up a game and play and wait for the issue to happen. What are the temps/clock speeds?

Aug 4, 2019
Easy now. I can't tell you the number of times someone gives me something still "broken" after they cleaned it and I open it to find incredible amounts of dirt still in it. As a laptop it would be hard to open everything and make sure it got cleaned. Which is why I asked if it got opened or just shot with air through the vents.

I'm still not sure it's a temp issue. In my first reply I asked what they are and you haven't said anything. Fire up a game and play and wait for the issue to happen. What are the temps/clock speeds?

Atm I’m on holiday. Trying to gather all useful info and will try to sort out an issue once i get back.
I dont know if mentioned before, but this happening not during gaming only. It happening during movie or just surfing on internet.
Thats why I mentioned psu. As just browsing on internet cpu prob wont reach such a high temps as playing games.

4745454b

Titan
As I understand your setup the PSU it hooked up only to the GPU. In theory even a 300W would be more than enough to power that video card. The 650W that you bought is way overkill. You have 3x+ what you need for that video card. It's possible you have a DOA PSU. But I'd believe an overheating CPU or driver issue is more likely.

Aug 4, 2019
As I understand your setup the PSU it hooked up only to the GPU. In theory even a 300W would be more than enough to power that video card. The 650W that you bought is way overkill. You have 3x+ what you need for that video card. It's possible you have a DOA PSU. But I'd believe an overheating CPU or driver issue is more likely.

As manufacturer claim that need to use min 500w psu, so I bought bit more powerful.
At the beginning was drivers issue. Laptop used to restart every ten min. Sometimes used to freeze so badly that i had to pull battery out. Then going through forums I tried most of driver versions. Kinda “success” was with last drivers. So I’m able to use it for and hour or so.
Never was big fan of radeon, but bought it cheap for trial purposes.
So atm issue could be in:
  1. Cpu temps
  2. Faulty gpu
  3. Wrong psu
  4. Drivers

4745454b

Titan
When a manufacturer says you need X psu, they mean for an entire system. Because you have a laptop you are only powering the gpu. Everything else is powered by the laptop. Your gpu is a sub 200W gpu, so 650W is way overkill. I honestly don't think it's a power issue.

It might be a drive issue still. But I'm not sure where to start with that. I've been hoping someone else would come along with ideas.

Solution
Aug 4, 2019

Agree with you.
Had an idea to replace gpu and psu but all this thing cost time and money. So I'm kinda stuck.
Had idea just to get rid off everything and get a compact desktop pc. But with good specs, second hand it will cost around 500-600£.
And here with new ssd, ram, and i5 (even it is 1st gen) my laptop again in useable condition. And all upgrades was in range of 100£ rough.

Aug 4, 2019
Are the nvidia drivers better? Maybe trade for a different card?

Thats what i thought. Like i said i never was radeon fan. nVidia was better. Maybe in this case, using as external gpu radeon not the best option.
Radeon i found very cheap and bought it for trial purpose. And the idea was if it works, then to get a better gpu.
But in this case prob i need to take a risk and get another gpu ☹️

Aug 4, 2019
Do you have a friend with an nvidea card you can test with?

If it's a driver issue i assume you already updated the bios, chipset drivers?
Unfortunately no friends to test gpu.
Regards bios, I couldn’t find any bios update.
Btw could you recommend software for gpu, cpu monitoring?