R9 380 4GB Crossfire

The Koala Racer

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
So i have a corsair RM 1000w psu and a msi 4GB R9 380, the reason for my psu being so big is because i would like to crossfire the R9 380. Would it be good? Would there be a big performance boost? Would my i5 4690k OC to 4.5ghz bottleneck or should i upgrade to a i7?

Solution
First, you still don't need 1000W PSU for Crossfire R9 380's, but it doesn't hurt either. Just cause you have a 1000W PSU doesn't mean it is pulling that much power all the time.

Your CPU is the same CPU I have, the only difference between the i5-4690k and the i7-4790k is a few GHz (not worth mentioning really) and Hyper-Threading. The i5 have 4 physical cores, and the i7 has 4 physical cores with Hyper-Threading for a total of 8 logical cores. The Hyper-Threading is for multi-tasking and as I assume this is for gaming, not all games utilize Hyper-Threading anyway. For gaming, the i5 is cheaper and in SOME CASES gets better FPS. So you don't need to upgrade to the i7 unless you are doing something like video rendering or what not.

As...
First, you still don't need 1000W PSU for Crossfire R9 380's, but it doesn't hurt either. Just cause you have a 1000W PSU doesn't mean it is pulling that much power all the time.

Your CPU is the same CPU I have, the only difference between the i5-4690k and the i7-4790k is a few GHz (not worth mentioning really) and Hyper-Threading. The i5 have 4 physical cores, and the i7 has 4 physical cores with Hyper-Threading for a total of 8 logical cores. The Hyper-Threading is for multi-tasking and as I assume this is for gaming, not all games utilize Hyper-Threading anyway. For gaming, the i5 is cheaper and in SOME CASES gets better FPS. So you don't need to upgrade to the i7 unless you are doing something like video rendering or what not.

As for performance increase, that depends on what you are doing and what resolution. AT 1080p gaming, you won't see any noticeable improvements. 1440p and 4K though would probably see something worth noticing, certainly at 4K.

Solution