[SOLVED] R9 380 - GPU disassembly - black tape and some questions

vlad-kzm

Commendable
May 10, 2021
Hello, I wanted to replace the thermal paste on my GPU today, it's a R9 380. It's going to be 5 or 6 years old soon.

To pull the boards apart, I had to rip off some black sticky tape, you can see where it was here.

https://ibb.co/yfxmG9s

Here it was already taken out but there's a similar thing on the other side.

It was like these black tapes on the chips around the GPU core.

https://ibb.co/4mvXdKT

Anyone know what they are for? Did I mess up my GPU by taking it out?

I'm really worried if it was to prevent short circuit or something, my power socket is not grounded so if this is does short circuit it could be bad..

I cleaned it, replaced the paste and just put it back together. I'm using it right now on this comp, so for now it works.

Any info / input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Yours has a backplate. Did you remove that black strip with the bumps behind the VRMs then? You could put it back, but clearly the card will run without the backplate, so you could also just remove that completely.

If there was a pad directly behind the GPU, you can probably leave that off as well without much concern.

vlad-kzm

Commendable
May 10, 2021
Those are thermal pads for the memory chips if we are talking about the same thing, they should go back on if possible.

Sapphire Nitro? Looks about the same with the thermal pad placement to yours:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV9OGYbiGXE

Yep, that's the same model as mine! The ones around the GPU core are still on, but the one on the back isn't. I might've ruined it (the thermal pad) :(

Does this mean my GPU is at risk of breaking or will get higher temps? I've been watching the temperature and it seems to me about the same, 50ºC idle and a bit over 80ºC in 100% usage.

Edit: On that video he doesn't show the back plate, he has it off too.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yours has a backplate. Did you remove that black strip with the bumps behind the VRMs then? You could put it back, but clearly the card will run without the backplate, so you could also just remove that completely.

If there was a pad directly behind the GPU, you can probably leave that off as well without much concern.

Solution

vlad-kzm

Commendable
May 10, 2021

Yes, the backplate has a rubbery bumpy part. Between that and the board there was a black strip that was sticking them together. I removed that. I don't think I can remove the backplate completely because the backplate is holding the part with the fans in place.

It's best NOT to reuse thermal pads.
When they are initially installed, they sort of mold to the shape of the components that they are pressed against and don't usually pop back up to their unused state. Reusing could leave gaps that can cause thermal issues.

Well that particular thermal pad that was in the back is ruined now, so I can't put it back on anyway. Or did you mean the ones on the chips and cooler? I didn't touch those at all, just stuck them back together when I was finished. It's not 100% perfect like before but it should be close enough after aligning the boards to put the screws back in.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
He isn't wrong, but most thermal pads left un-removed will relax enough to make contact with the surfaces again.

Ideally, yes, new thermal pads at each disassembly, but that usually means spending quite a bit on some pads. Either small amounts, or large amounts, the cost is in the shipping. (And availability)

Given that most GPUs are obsolete before they really need to be refurbished, generally fine to go one round without replacement.

Reactions: vlad-kzm