Question r9 380 reaching 80c running hot

jay781

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Hi guys i currently have a sapphire r9 380 nitro 4gb at idle its always in early 50c. When playing a game like a resident evil 2 remake its going to early 80c. Im sure this is to hot also its dual fan. When i check in global wattman its showing 423rpm fan speed when fan not moving at time then suddenly both fan start and stop this continusly happens then on global wattman even when fan hasnt spinned in 5mins it shows that fans are running at 437rpm and temprature is 51c im confused why its doing this also more confused why its idling at 50 reaching 80c when playing a game any suggestion or advise what this problem could be why its behaving like this?.

May 17, 2018
Hello, most modern GPU cards have automated fans system, which means the fans will start running at x celsius, in your case it's 50, and then will keep track of the temp and adjust speed depending on the temp. For example it'll go 20% at 60C, and 55% at 80C to make sure it doesnt go too much above 80C. 80C (or close above) should be the maximum temp your GPU fans will try to keep. Most of the time it's no big deal, i personally just hate the fan start/stop noise. So if you're like me, install MSI afterburner and change the fans speed from auto to 55% or something, depending on your case airflow etc.

jay781

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
another thing on msi afterburner it shows on manual mode that fans speed is set to 20somthing it fan doesnt spin/move. it only start starts spinning/moving untill its set to 30% on msi after burner is this normal?.