[SOLVED] R9-380 registers as 200 series except on...

Apr 29, 2020
I have a Radeon R9 380. I like to play games on my computer with it’s graphical support. I came home a few days ago from university to find my computer suddenly thinking my 380 is 200 series. It never used to do to make this (particular) mistake. I have all the recent drivers, and all the formalities and blah blah. Even on the bloody Radeon software (red and shiny and cool looking interface) my GPU is deemed inferior (aka it says 200 series).

however...
when messing around with furmark in hopes of verifying the cards integrity regardless of its’ mislabeling by my system, I came across this: View: https://imgur.com/a/PiVvZvc

I guess furmark has no problem identifying the 380 hidden in the depths of my PC, but I’m confused; what does OpenGL have to do with my GPU, and why does furmark show no sign of 200 series on this particular GPU stress test..? Btw: I’ve googled the problem and only came up with dead ends from 2018.. I understand it’s an old card, but I paid hard earned money for it and I would like to get my money’s worth. Thanks for reading my post. Hope you have a great day!

Solution
Hi,

Welcome to the old amd :)

To reassure you, there is likely nothing wrong with your card, You can verify its performance by running benchmarks and comparing them to the listed benchmarks online. For this generation of gpu, Amd did not have a new Gpu core?Die?Brain? (I forgot the term)

The R9 3xx series was mainly just a slight redesign of the power and increase clock speeds of the older R 9 2xx series, the tonga gpu

"However in the 14 months since the launch of the first Tonga product AMD has never released a fully enabled desktop SKU, until now. Radeon R9 285 utilized a partially disabled Tonga – only 28 of 32 CUs were enabled – and while it was refreshed as the Radeon R9 380 as part of the Radeon 300 series launch, "...

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Hi,

Welcome to the old amd :)

To reassure you, there is likely nothing wrong with your card, You can verify its performance by running benchmarks and comparing them to the listed benchmarks online. For this generation of gpu, Amd did not have a new Gpu core?Die?Brain? (I forgot the term)

The R9 3xx series was mainly just a slight redesign of the power and increase clock speeds of the older R 9 2xx series, the tonga gpu

"However in the 14 months since the launch of the first Tonga product AMD has never released a fully enabled desktop SKU, until now. Radeon R9 285 utilized a partially disabled Tonga – only 28 of 32 CUs were enabled – and while it was refreshed as the Radeon R9 380 as part of the Radeon 300 series launch, "

Quoted from below
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9801/amd-launches-radeon-r9-380x

Hence at its core the R9 380 you have is a re-release of a 2xx series. With the updated microcode most software should identify it as a 380 but some software do still identify it semi-correctly as a 2xx series

Your money should be safe :)

Happy Gaming
Alvis

Solution