R9 390 Black screen

noshow66

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
I bought an MSI R9 390 and I installed it, but now windows loads then goes to a black screen.
My build:
FX-8350
G.Skill DDR3-1666 2x4gb
2 seagate 500gb HDD
R9 390
Raidmax RX 730w PSU

Banstyx5

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
No answer same issue:

So got a shiney new MSI R9 390x and I am having problems out of the gate. Starting in the Bios I can mess with setting boot options etc for hours no issues. On a clean install of windows 10(yes I know it is beta) install goes smoothly no issues. Computer boots log into windows and after a few minutes the fans on the card stop and the screen goes blank. It doesnt appear to be a over heating issue and I have a 1000 watt PSU. Not a power issue.

I originally had an R9 280 and it worked fine. I basically just swapped out cards. Interestingly enough updating video card drivers causes the R9 390x to just stop fans power down and screen goes blank.Switched back to the R9 280 and everything works

Hyppy

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
Uninstall your current drivers, then get the 15.15 drivers from AMD's site (labeled "AMD RADEON R9 300 SERIES DRIVERS" under Drivers and Support). Catalyst 15.6 and 14.12 don't work with the 3xx cards.

Ville_1

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I had the problem for 2 weeks, i reset my BIOS and CMOS, reinstalled drivers many many times and reinstalled windows etc. After a long while with just using the basic windows render driver I decided to try again, while installing the driver the screen went black and the screen said "No signal detected" after this I disconnected the DVI cord from the screen side and after about 10sec plugged it back, and the screen came back with the signal. I heard a sound while installing the driver that something unplugged and when plugging the cord I heard a sound of something plugging.
I think the drivers just messed up the output signal or port, since turning the screen on and off didnt have an effect on it, neither did switching the ports on the GPU.