R9 390 Crossfire Vs. Fury X

I have never experienced "hassles" with multiple cards provided I didn't use low end cards (top 3 tiers only) and, at least w/ Crossfire, not more than 2 cards. I mean yes, you have to sometimes wait a week for an SLI profile and 3 - 5 weeks for CF but as my kids don't buy games right away ... (wait for those half price sales) ... it don't matter.

However I don't see the Fury X at all competitive with the 980 Ti..... especially overclocked (30% difference)

The 390 CF is competitive with the 970 in SLI ... but not when overclocked. However, depending upon what games ya pick.... you can make either one a winner so what you play is important on deciding.

I would certainly rather have 2 x 390 than a Fury X

Maybe it's just the hot room I'm sitting in right now, but man, the thought of gaming with a pair of 390s sitting in the case next to me, heating everything up is just not appealing to me in the least.

It's like with just about every GPU purchase, you lay out your unique situation and then pick the option that matches that special circumstance. Of course a pair of 390s in Crossfire is mostly/usually going to be faster, but that doesn't make them always better.

What resolution are you running? What CPU? What power supply?

ChronicleMe

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

You don't see the Fury X at all competitive with the 980ti? Really?
i44614.png

OrangesBestest

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015

That's Farcry man.

Fury X is in a very weird spot right now. If you're comparing it to 980Ti and looking at raw performance and overclockability, the Ti will win 9/10 times. And they both cost the same.
There are only two reasons to go with a Fury X. And that's either because you're betting on the future and dx12 or because you do not want to get a gsync monitor.

Me personally, I'm going with the Fury X (probably) because paired with a freesync monitor, it's going to cost me about 100€ less than going with a 980Ti and a Gsync variant.

Also the Fury X is watercooled and still has the same price as its 980Ti rival.