R9 390 DCU3 Overheating

Minipianoman

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
I know that a lot of other people have had troubles with this card, but none of the other answers have given an effective solution. My Asus r9 390 DCU3 overheats like crazy with any graphics intensive game (I've had the most trouble with GTAV and Assassin's Creed Syndicate). After about 5 minutes of playing, the card would hit 96C and my screens would go black (dual monitors, game on one with temps on the other, 1440p and 1080p respectively). I managed to get the games to work when I underclock to 950MHz (still running between 88 and 90 degrees), but I'd like a more elegant solution.

In case it matters, i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz w/ Kraken x61, Corsair RM850, Corsair 760T with a complete set of case fans for more than ample airflow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Even though the card is meant to run hot those temps seem a tad too high. Make sure the fans are actually spinning or even try setting a manual fan curve and see if that improves the situation. If it doesn't then if bet there's something else wrong such as thermal paste not applied well or the heatsink not making proper contact.

Minipianoman

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
My setup has more than ample airflow. I tried a custom fan curve, the temps were still in the 90s at 100% speed. I've reinstalled the drivers with DDU several times. The only thing I haven't tried is the thermal paste, but I am hesitant to try that for fear of breaking something. I'll try it, and reply later.

Faruk Aksamija

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
What driver version are you using now, if you are on Crimson versions, black screens are coused by them, there is no fix for it untill amd relase new drivers. BTW 96C is not big temparature r9 390 start to throttle on 105C.

Minipianoman

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
Sorry this took so long; I just received my new tube of Arctic MX-4. After replacing the paste and running benchmarks (heaven and firestrike), I have yet to see a temp higher than 86c. GTAV and AC:S still crash, but without taking out the entire system as they did before (this one is probably driver related). So far, no overheating. Thanks to everyone who responded, I will continue to update if anything else develops!