R9 390 goes to black screen after desktop

mitchp911

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I just installed my R9 390 and after booting into Windows, I can use my computer for about 15 seconds and then it will just go to black screen, with no inputs doing anything until I shutdown and restart. It happens every time. I've tried reseating the GPU but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

mitchp911

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
My monitor only accepts HDMI and VGA, and there's no VGA output on the card.

Also, removing the card makes everything boot and work fine again, so I believe the cable is fine

ERIC J

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

what happens if you take the 390 out and just use the MB's built in GPU?
do you get a black screen still?

mitchp911

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

No, it boots up fine. I have installed the drivers this way, but as soon as the card is installed, it will go back to "crashing" (I don't know if it's actually crashing, the screen just goes black)

mitchp911

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

Thanks for that, I'll try it now

YES! Thank you so much! Using DDU in safe mode, then installing the card, and booting up allowed me to install the drivers and everything seems to be working fine now. :)

Jordan Brennan

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

I had major issues with mine tonight, kept loading to a black screen then would not power on after a restart.

I eventually put the old card back in, uninstalled all amd stuff, used the AMD auto detect utility and reinstalled the drivers, turns out the software suite wasn't installing the drivers correctly so after running the auto detect with the old card, turning my system off, installing the new card, turning it back on, it finally recognised the new drivers and loaded fine.

It looks like when I tried installing the control centre thing it only installed a couple of drivers and not the actual graphics driver.

Ville_1

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I had the problem for 2 weeks, i reset my BIOS and CMOS, reinstalled drivers many many times and reinstalled windows etc. After a long while with just using the basic windows render driver I decided to try again, while installing the driver the screen went black and the screen said "No signal detected" after this I disconnected the DVI cord from the screen side and after about 10sec plugged it back, and the screen came back with the signal. I heard a sound while installing the driver that something unplugged and when plugging the cord I heard a sound of something plugging.
I think the drivers just messed up the output signal or port, since turning the screen on and off didnt have an effect on it, neither did switching the ports on the GPU.