R9 390 Sapphire Nitro vs ASUS Strix DC3 which is a better deal?

Behrox

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
Hey guys I have to replace my current r9 280 due to its vRAM getting faulty. I am thinking of getting the r9 390 either the Sapphire Nitro or the ASUS Strix DC3. Now Sapphire gives a 1 year warranty here in Pakistan but is around 30$ more expensive than the ASUS which has 3 year warranty. I want to know which one you guys recommend I get and whether my PSU can run it. My current specs are:
CPU: i5 3470
MOBO: Gigabyte H61-DS2
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620c

Solution
The ASUS is clocked higher from factory. They use very good parts of power delivery (much like MSI who I would recommend if available).

So, ASUS faster out of box, but yes I also read about some issues. I went MSI due to excellent components and some of the best cooling for the 390. I'd go Sapphire and put a small overclock on it if you want to.,
PSU is fine - delivers same power as my Seasonic. No issues there.
System is good.
Sapphire and Asus get good reviews. I've had both with AMD and never issues. See which is clocked higher from stock - likely to have better OC headroom if you go down that route.

Behrox

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

Thanks for your answer, but I want to know if its worth getting the Nitro for 30$ more than the ASUS one, even though ASUS is giving 3 years while Sapphire is giving 1 year warranty. I'm asking because I heard that the ASUS cards with the DC2 cooler were having some problems and there are very few reviews of the ASUS Strix DC3 variant of the r9 390. Thanks

The ASUS is clocked higher from factory. They use very good parts of power delivery (much like MSI who I would recommend if available).

So, ASUS faster out of box, but yes I also read about some issues. I went MSI due to excellent components and some of the best cooling for the 390. I'd go Sapphire and put a small overclock on it if you want to.,

Solution

Behrox

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
Anyone has experience with ASUS's DC3 cooler on the r9 390. I'll hopefully be buying next week so I have till then to decide. The only thing I want to know is if the Saphhire Nitro worth the 2 year less warranty then the 3 years on ASUS or is the DC3 Strix that bad

Behrox

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
Anyone? Which is better and can someone list the pros and cons of both coolers
ASUS DC3 + 3 year warranty or Sapphire Nitro + 1 year warranty + 30$

Behrox

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
got the Sapphire version. Thanks. The only problem now is something I overlooked, the Sapphire requires 2 8 pin connectors instead of the 6+8 ones normally on the 390s. My PSU only has a 6+2 and 6 pin connectors, can I use a 6 to 8 pin adapter to power it (assuming I can find it here)

TRENDING THREADS