[SOLVED] R9 3900x cpu speeds are off

Burntresistor

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hi, I just built a new computer and when I got to Task Manager it reads the cpu speed at 2.2ghz instead of 3.8ghz. Though, it does see all the cores and the base clock does say 3.8ghz. Is there a reason it is going slow when I check Task Manager?

DDR4 3200
NVIDIA 2070
RYZEN 9 3900X
X570 PRO motherboard

Solution
Hi, I just built a new computer and when I got to Task Manager it reads the cpu speed at 2.2ghz instead of 3.8ghz. Though, it does see all the cores and the base clock does say 3.8ghz. Is there a reason it is going slow when I check Task Manager?

DDR4 3200
NVIDIA 2070
RYZEN 9 3900X
X570 PRO motherboard
The cpu will only achieve such speeds when only required or the tasks demand from the CPU itself.
Open any resource manager tracker and do intensive tasks like heavy CPU game for 10m and check the average.
And it should be the stated= 3.8ghz +/- average.
Or just run a CPU benchmark application while using windows resource manager.

Brotherofwar

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013

DDR4 3200
NVIDIA 2070
RYZEN 9 3900X
X570 PRO motherboard
The cpu will only achieve such speeds when only required or the tasks demand from the CPU itself.
Open any resource manager tracker and do intensive tasks like heavy CPU game for 10m and check the average.
And it should be the stated= 3.8ghz +/- average.
Or just run a CPU benchmark application while using windows resource manager.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
^ What he said.
The Ryzen Balanced Power Plan in Windows lets your CPU idle at lower clock speeds and they only Boost to higher speeds when they are needed.
My Ryzen 5 2600 idles at 1.5 GHz but it boosts to 4 GHz (my OC speed) when necessary.