Question R9 3900x or i9 9900k

Spirrion

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
so i'm looking to upgrade my cpu and i was wondering which one i should go with.. i primarily game on my pc. I also use adobe for art projects. my motherboard will be upgraded either way so this wont effect anything. for my gpu i have a RTX 2080, 16gb of 3000mhz ram, and a psu of 650W. i play games like BF, BDO (Big mmo), GTA and some MOBAs pretty high tier games. are the extra cores better? or should i go intel? i don't wanna upgrade the system every 1 to 2 years so i would like to get the most out of it

Thank you guys so much in advance!!

McGaz

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
From looking at the reviews/benchmarks, it seems like the i9 9900K is still the best for gaming. They're all still have a reliance upon the individual core speed. The difference isn't massive and there was talk about the extra cache in the Ryzen reducing the number of obvious drops/stutters in play. That, to me, could be more important than getting 5-10% extra FPS.

For applications, the Ryzen is clearly better.

I'm in a similar position to you and have been waiting for these reviews - which are all very positive, but that the i9 9900k still wins in gaming has made me think I might just wait a month or two and see how Intel reacts. Plus, we may also find that improved drivers for the motherboards and game specific updates might make the difference in FPS negligible.

If I were to choose one right now, I'd go for the Ryzen. Those multi-cores aren't going away and game developers are going to have to put more and more into taking advantage of that. The FPS improvement of the i9 is like 140FPS instead of 130FPS. Is it really going to make that much of a difference?

The new AMD motherboards may be more future proof too, taking advantage of PCI express 4, etc.

Reactions: Spirrion