Question R9 390x not detected by motherboard

Apr 15, 2019
I just had this handed-down Sapphire R9 390x. The previous owner said it works just fine before giving it out. Pretty excited since it's quite an upgrade from my old GTX 660. Placed it in and plugged all the necessary chords but unfortunately it won't work. No display when I hook up my monitor on the graphics card but when I plugged it on the motherboard there's a display. I tried it on other pc and still the same case. Is there any way I can fix it?

System Specs:
Core i7-2600
16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3
Asus P8Z68-v gen3
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750w

Does the card power on when you start the PC ? Do the fans spin ? Could also be a dead card, if purchased from someone else (second hand). How OLD is this GPU ? I assume you have properly connected all the PCI-E cables to the GPU ?

Also, have you tried using some other Monitor cable as well ?

Apr 15, 2019
Does the card power on when you start the PC ? Do the fans spin ? Could also be a dead card, if purchased from someone else (second hand). How OLD is this GPU ? I assume you have properly connected all the PCI-E cables to the GPU ?

Also, have you tried using some other Monitor cable as well ?
The thing is, the card has a feature that the fans will only spin when the gpu gets into certain temperature(60°C I think) so that's out of the question.

PCI-E cables are properly in place. I've tried HDMI, VGA and DVI cables but still no good.

Also, it wasn't purchased. It was given out since the original user has upgraded to a better card.

Apr 15, 2019
Yes, I know that. But as soon as you power on the PC, the fans will spin for few seconds, and then STOP, IMO. My RX 480 and GTX 970 ASUS STRIX GPU behaves in a similar fashion. Not sure about your model though.
Oh, I see. No, the fans didn't spin at all. My other suspicion is the 8-pin pci-e cables and I don't have spare that are similar to what I have. I doubt my psu isn't sufficient. 600w is the recommended psu for r9 390x afterall.

My other suspicion is the 8-pin pci-e cables and I don't have spare that are similar to what I have. I doubt my psu isn't sufficient. 600w is the recommended psu for r9 390x afterall.

Your current PSU is sufficient for the card to boot up, but how many 6 or 8-PIN PCI-e power cables does your R9 390X GPU require ? The PSU might be having a spare cable, depending on the model of the power supply unit.

Do you also have a spare PSU to test the card out ?