R9 390x RMA?

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Games it is running low and high fps. 12-20% lower usage than the cpu constantly. MSI gaming app will hold the clock, the usage still drops lower than the cpu. Temps are normal, 70-75c gpu, 1100 mhz clock, 50% power limit. CPU 60's c. I stopped using the gaming app because it's causing stutter, many people are having problems with the app(MSI forums).

Sounds like a CPU bottleneck.

The percentage usage of a CPU will not tell you much useful in terms of bottleneck because it's the MAIN THREAD of code which can be bottlenecked on a single core/thread.

(you can have 50% CPU usage and still have a CPU bottleneck).

If you have a weaker Intel or pretty much any AMD CPU you are going to have a bottleneck in some games.

Other:
*You can also test something like UNIGINE VALLEY benchmark which should be completely bottlenecked on the GPU. That should show almost 100% GPU usage.

If you had another Pci-e graphics card in the system before you fitted the new R9 390X card.

Did you remove the video driver used with the old graphics card if the case for that card before you took it out and put the R9 card in the Pci-e graphics card slot of your motherboard.

If the existing card was a different model version of a Ati gpu, or and Nvidia based card with a Nvidia gpu.

You must remove the old video driver for the old Pci-e based graphics card first of all.

Or the result is you get really bad frame rates out of the new R9 390X graphics card GTR22.

Download and install this program if the case,run it , and use the options to remove both Nvidia based graphics drivers
And any Ati video drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Then download the latest drivers from www.Amd.com for your model of R9 graphics card you currently have.

Once done and the latest video driver is installed.

Try a game and see if the FPS have improved.

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
PC information is in my signature(roll over my name). Did run FireStrike, gpu is at 100% for the graphics test. In games such as The Division this is where the fps can drop 35 and go up to 80's. Also Hitman, some areas are worse, unplayable. BF 4 runs good, fps seems stable.

I had an R9 290x before the 390x, I always use amd uninstaller before installing new drivers.

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
After reading some posts in The Division forums I saw that many others are having high cpu usage also with low fps. This is after the latest update. Also the server connections are whacky, people in Europe connecting to USA and USA players connecting all over etc. I logged on just now and my fps were fine, 80's +. I'll check again tomorrow.
Also Hitman is an online game also, the ping is good, 100ms, it still gives low fps on some areas of the maps, probably everyone gets that.