[SOLVED] R9 - 5950x motherboard

Feb 7, 2021
I've just bought a new system using a Ryzen 9 5950x which I'm going to use mainly for heavy multi-threaded Excel workloads (also need some single core speed as not all the processes are multi threaded).

I initially thought I wasn't going to overclock it and so 'cheaped out' on the motherboard - got an MSI X-570a pro.

I then changed my mind when I realised I can actually get some significant performance gains through Precision Boost Overdrive. However, on some configurations the chip is starting to heat up a bit. From googling I can see that this motherboard has some cheap VRMs which heat up massively. I have a Corsair H150i cooler and an airflow case (Coolermaster TD500). Should have bought a better motherboard from the start.

I know the VRMs only indirectly heat up the CPU but am considering just changing the motherboard outright anyway.

Can anyone give an idea of how much difference a better motherboard is likely to make and give me some suggestions for one that would be better?

Solution
While I've traditionally been a fan of the Hero family of motherboards, there's little chance I'd buy one these days. ASUS customer support is HORRIFIC compared to days past. I can't give you solid numbers on how crappy their support is now, but what I CAN tell you is that there have been several of us on the moderation team and veteran members who've had nothing but never ending headaches from ASUS when trying to get RMA support for a Hero class motherboard. At least four of us that I know of. Not the fault of the board per se, because boards can fail or have problems. Even the very best of them, but when they do, you expect hassle free support and that is not what we've seen coming from ASUS in the recent past.

Plus, the X570...
For VRM throttling and thermal issues? It makes a major difference in some cases. Depends on what we're comparing.

This is a good read. It won't have many of the newer models included, but it gives you a good idea as to what you are looking at. If you REALLY want to know about which boards are better in this area, look to reviews on Youtube by Buildzoid.

Or, you can compare boards (Especially their VRM configurations) here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

Although I like MSI boards because of good overall price/performance ratio, MSI X-570A PRO seems to be the worst in MSI range. That isn't only the case for MSI boards, as every brand has has it's duck (to offer latest tech at budget price). Don't get me wrong: I'm not defending MSI.. you just made bad choice.
On the other hand, my 5900X runs just fine on "old" MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max mobo (about 110US$), which I already had when I switched from 3700X.
Anyway, if I would need to decide now, I would go either for MSI B550 Tomahawk or MSI B550 Gaming Plus -both have all I need.
Sorry for your bad experience though.

Feb 7, 2021
Thanks for the replies - very helpful. I was thinking of spending a bit more on a better quality X570 board.

It's not actually that bad at the moment. For the multi-threaded workstream I mainly want it for I can get it up to 4.2GHz all core (from 3.85 GHz not over clocked). In other workstreams it can do 4.5GHz all core. However, this is in winter in the UK and I can just open the window to help with cooling. With the window shut the temperature creeps up - I let it get up to 72 degrees though before just opening the window - no doubt others push theirs harder.

There are three fans mounted to the top of the case and one of them is blowing air almost directly onto the VRMs. Maybe that helps.

Even at 65 vs 70 degrees the PBO behaves differently - it will push it to 4.2 GHz all core at 65 degrees and only 4.15 at 70 degrees on the same config.

I've just read the stories about the poor quality VRMs and am wondering (i) what will happen in summer (ii) whether I could push it harder to 4.5 or 4.6GHz all core for the workstream I want with a better motherboard.

I can understand your concerns about cooling on hot summer, yes.
About PBO (from my experience/impression).. I noticed it quite increases CPU temperature without "much" gain in performance -so I decided to disable it. I mean, yes, there's difference in benchmarks, but in (my) real life usage, it just isn't worth it. Instead, when I'm after more performance, I might tryout THIS one day.

Best wishes

While I've traditionally been a fan of the Hero family of motherboards, there's little chance I'd buy one these days. ASUS customer support is HORRIFIC compared to days past. I can't give you solid numbers on how crappy their support is now, but what I CAN tell you is that there have been several of us on the moderation team and veteran members who've had nothing but never ending headaches from ASUS when trying to get RMA support for a Hero class motherboard. At least four of us that I know of. Not the fault of the board per se, because boards can fail or have problems. Even the very best of them, but when they do, you expect hassle free support and that is not what we've seen coming from ASUS in the recent past.

Plus, the X570 Tomahawk is probably nearly as good, for a lot less money. I'm not much of an MSI fan, especially given their lack of moral considerations, but if you can get a great board for 100 bucks less, that's hard to not look at.

Reactions: BogdanH
Solution