R9 Fury Obvious Pauses & Lock Ups (3D Gaming Issue)

KingOfComputing

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I have a R9 Fury that generally works well but will on occasion exhibit an unusual issue where the game will completely pause or lock, not a drop in fps (well a drop to 0 if it is) but outright lock up as if it has crashed. This is usually only for a very short time, less than a second sometimes but can be a few seconds, but is pretty noticeable if you are playing smoothly at say 60fps and then suddenly it pauses for even half a second. Sometimes the pauses can be longer and sometimes the card drops the video signal altogether (black screen) but then sometimes it kind of flicks back to my steam library (the last screen I had up before starting the game) then quickly back into the game as if I had alt tabbed, but I wasn’t even touching the keyboard as the game I was playing was controlled entirely with the controller.

At first I thought the problem was possibly not with the GPU but actually with my set up as I use a 4K TV for my gaming display and since the Fury sadly has no native HDMI 2.0 for 4K/60HZ I have to use a displayport to HDMI adaptor I was using the widely recommended club 3d one, this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CLUB3D-Mini-Display-Port-black/dp/B017BQCUGW/, but to rule it out I just bought a brand new adaptor by a different manufacturer from Amazon as here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M8PGQDF/ and getting the exact same problem with that too. I have tried the obvious things like different HDMI lead and using a different input on the TV.

The issue is extremely hard for me to diagnose as it can sometimes happen frequently, sometimes not at all. It does seem to happen quite often when first starting a game but then can occur later on. It isn’t necessarily restricted to actual gameplay, I have had it happen on menu screens too. The problem does seem to be related to 3D load as it doesn’t happen in light 3D and 2D games. Sometimes the pausing will last longer and rarely, but occasionally, the game won’t recover at all and the computer will completely reboot (but doesn’t display a blue screen). The audio cuts out when these pauses occur too and the card stops making noise too while the pauses occur not sure if the fans actually stop or just the coil whine (sadly it has quite a lot of that).

The games I have observed this on recently are Assault Android Cactus and Nex Machina (I like indie shooters), which I run at 4K pretty much max settings minus anti-aliasing as the card seems to have no issue running them smoothly apart from the issue mentioned.

The rest of my PC is: i7 3770, 16GB DDR3, 256GB Crucial SSD, 2TB SSHD, XFX 550 Watt PSU, XFX R9 Fury 4GB, Windows 10 Professional.

Any advice would be very gratefully received :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you monitoring CPU/GPU temps? Have you clean installed your GPU drivers using something like DDU? http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Sounds driver related to me..... but there's also potential it's PSU related.
The R9 Fury is a 275W card, and likely near maxed at 4K - so there's a decent(ish) power draw there.
Which XFX unit do you have?

While most are SeaSonic build and good quality, I believe it's the XT lineup that are a bit lesser in quality, and kind of trade on the belief all XFX units = SeaSonic.

KingOfComputing

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Cpu temps are high 50s-low 60s while gpu maxes at 80c, which is a little more than i would like, but i believe safe for this gpu. I think its caused by the extremely cautious fan profile these cards seem to have, the fans never seem to go above the high 30s% even at full load.

I had considered psu too but i really hope its not as i cant really afford to change it right now. It is a good quality one i think. Xfx pro 550 watt core edition, bronze certified.

I have done a clean driver install and the problem has persisted over the last couple of driver versions i have used with the card.

KingOfComputing

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Another update, I have swapped out the XFX 550 Watt PSU for an 850 Watt Modular Corsair unit and I still get the problem, in fact oddly it is worse now with the games crashing within the first five minutes and not recovering either, which makes no sense whatsoever (more power = bad?)...

KingOfComputing

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Well to update again and assuming I'm not the only one reading this, the problem may have been resolved anyway as XFX have just advised me to RMA again (after I told them the replacement PSU didn't help). They have offered me a free 'upgrade' to a XFX RX-480P8DBA6. Looking on Google it appears to be a very good factory OCed RX480 8GB. I'm not sure if the RX480 is actually a performance match for the Fury? But for the prospect of a GPU that might actually work properly and is a bit newer and more efficient (presumably) I guess I could sacrifice a few FPS I suppose.

Do you think the RX480 is an acceptable replacement?