[SOLVED] R9 Fury X causing total system freeze

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Recently rebuilt a PC, has

i5 4460
2x 8gb RAM
h81 mobo
700w PSU (decent one rated for 648w on the 12v)
sata ssd for boot drive (Windows is NOT installed)
and hhd storage drive

The problem is when i add an R9 Fury x to the system the gpu lights up fans spin and pump turns on and the computer will post and output a display but shortly after will completely freeze up the PC, no errors or anything. I have put the gpu in another completely different system and it worked fine, i have also tried a different gpu in this system and it works fine. I have reset bios and put in a speaker on the off chance of beep codes (didnt get any). I have also reseated gpu, ram and power connectors, when testing the power usage from the wall never went above 150W.

What can i try next?

Solution
Oh, it's definitely group-regulated. You can see the 12V/5V and 3.3V coils there. This is a very cheap platform, a low-end, ancient one (Sirtec if I recall) in which they stuffed RGB lights and marked up a bunch. 230V only is also a big red flag, too; it's a telltale sign of a cheapo platform and modern high-power GPUs don't cope well with PSUs like that. Again, the problem isn't a lack of wattage; the crossloads on this thing with a Fury X in it must be a Lovecraftian horror story.

This is the first mention of a far better PSU in the Corsair RMx. Where is that PSU? What is the PSU in the PC in which this actually worked, at least for the moment? There are some real information holes all over the place in this question, which makes it...

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
What is the exact PSU? There's no such thing as a decent 700W that only has +12V amps that low. That means group regulation, which means old and inappropriate for a GPU like this, no matter the wattage.

This was the original https://www.thermaltake.com.au/smart-rgb-700w-230v.html . I did consider group regulation as i have had problems in the past with this and low load operations. So i tried a better one https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RM-Series™-80-PLUS-Gold-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020195-NA
and had the same thing happen.

By decent i meant a decent wattage. atleast on paper and i still think it is, i looked at pics on the internals and i do think it is group regulated because i dont see many regulation coils. But even then with the fury x ~275w max, cpu and mobo ~150w max and one sdd ~5w max. These are all the 12v and 5v in the system adding up to a theretical max of 430w. The ratings for the psu suggest that the amperage output (56amps) should be plenty for this build, atleast thats how my maths works out. The second gpu that i tried in the system was a 3080 and that worked. I could be wrong but i beleve the 3080 has a high tpd than the fury x. If the actual power usage is more or less i dont know.

EDIT: Just realised i didnt take into account the 75watts it can draw from the pcie slot. So yeah it probably doesnt have capasity especcially scince its group regulated. I dont get how the 3080 didnt casue it though and im really confused why the corsair psu i tried didnt work.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oh, it's definitely group-regulated. You can see the 12V/5V and 3.3V coils there. This is a very cheap platform, a low-end, ancient one (Sirtec if I recall) in which they stuffed RGB lights and marked up a bunch. 230V only is also a big red flag, too; it's a telltale sign of a cheapo platform and modern high-power GPUs don't cope well with PSUs like that. Again, the problem isn't a lack of wattage; the crossloads on this thing with a Fury X in it must be a Lovecraftian horror story.

This is the first mention of a far better PSU in the Corsair RMx. Where is that PSU? What is the PSU in the PC in which this actually worked, at least for the moment? There are some real information holes all over the place in this question, which makes it hard to really understand the series of events and the things you've done.

Solution

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Which h81 motherboard are you using? If the card is drawing from the slot and the slot is not capable of providing the voltage, you might be experiencing an issue related to that as you said it works in another system.
I hadnt thought of that, its a gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2. I looked it up, its got one pcie 2.0 slot. As far as i can tell its max 75w output but i dont know how to find out how much the gpu requires.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I hadnt thought of that, its a gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2. I looked it up, its got one pcie 2.0 slot. As far as i can tell its max 75w output but i dont know how to find out how much the gpu requires.

You should be fine there since it's an aftermarket. You occasionally run into cheap prebuilts that don't actually conform to the PCIE standards here and can't deliver more than 30W or so.

Reactions: spentshells

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015

This is the first mention of a far better PSU in the Corsair RMx. Where is that PSU? What is the PSU in the PC in which this actually worked, at least for the moment? There are some real information holes all over the place in this question, which makes it hard to really understand the series of events and the things you've done.
Ok i think understand, i am curious though, if crossload is the problem and the group is 5v and 12v (sharing the same regulation coil) but the is no parts in the system using 5v (like this one except for an ssd) then does crossload still exist? If you have all 12v load and no 5v does crossload still have an effect?

I will give a bit more info of what i have tried. So i bult the PC as spec'd above and turn it on, didnt post reseated a few things and tried again, this time i made it past the bios and into the windows installer at which poiint it freezes like i discribed. I though its was a gpu issue so i swaped that out with a 3080 and that worked fine, thought that was werid so i put the fury in a different rig and its worked perfectly. So i put the fury gpu back in thinking now it was a power issue so i disconnected the thermal take psu and tried a corsair rm series psu and that resulted in the same freezing. Then i wasnt too sure what to try next so i reseated eveything, tried different ram sticks and configs, added a speaker for beep codes. And then i posted here.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok i think understand, i am curious though, if crossload is the problem and the group is 5v and 12v (sharing the same regulation coil) but the is no parts in the system using 5v (like this one except for an ssd) then does crossload still exist? If you have all 12v load and no 5v does crossload still have an effect?

I will give a bit more info of what i have tried. So i bult the PC as spec'd above and turn it on, didnt post reseated a few things and tried again, this time i made it past the bios and into the windows installer at which poiint it freezes like i discribed. I though its was a gpu issue so i swaped that out with a 3080 and that worked fine, thought that was werid so i put the fury in a different rig and its worked perfectly. So i put the fury gpu back in thinking now it was a power issue so i disconnected the thermal take psu and tried a corsair rm series psu and that resulted in the same freezing. Then i wasnt too sure what to try next so i reseated eveything, tried different ram sticks and configs, added a speaker for beep codes. And then i posted here.

You get the crossload issues because the 5V isn't being used much. The drastically different loads will tend to push cheaply made group-regulated PSUs out of spec in the voltage. And this is a cheaply made PSU. It should certainly never be turned on with a 3080 connected. First thing to do is get this completely out of the equation here if you have an RM and another PSU in the other PC.

It's tricky because there's a lot of swapping around of things. What's the PSU in the other PC? Can you move it to the one in which you're having issues?

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
You get the crossload issues because the 5V isn't being used much. The drastically different loads will tend to push cheaply made group-regulated PSUs out of spec in the voltage. And this is a cheaply made PSU. It should certainly never be turned on with a 3080 connected.
Thanks for explaining this, makes alot of sense now.

So psu wise i have the corsair rm, thermaltake smart and installed in the second is a corsair cx750m. I was hoping i wouldnt have to move that psu but i dont really see anthother option so i probably will. If i doesnt work though ill just swap the gpu to the pc i know that it works in, unfortualtly its just a stupid cpu/gpu combo :( Anyway thanks for the help so far, i will update with result.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for explaining this, makes alot of sense now.

So psu wise i have the corsair rm, thermaltake smart and installed in the second is a corsair cx750m. I was hoping i wouldnt have to move that psu but i dont really see anthother option so i probably will. If i doesnt work though ill just swap the gpu to the pc i know that it works in, unfortualtly its just a stupid cpu/gpu combo :( Anyway thanks for the help so far, i will update with result.

Unfortunately, this GPU in particular was known for being quite temperamental.

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Unfortunately, this GPU in particular was known for being quite temperamental.
Yeah, im beginning to see that haha. I swaped the known working PSU in (CX750M) i can post and get into bios to slecet my bootable windows installer and it freezes on the windows splash screen. Did try a few things, i used a new bootable drive and also updated the bios. I got a memory error beep code once so i tried a few differnt combos of ram. If other gpus are working in it then i guess the board just doesnt like the fury right?