[SOLVED] R9 Nano Thermal Pads

Feb 7, 2021
Hi everyone. I cracked open an R9 Nano for a re-paste and found the thermal pads to also be in need of replacement (per the red box). The VRM modules highlighted in green boxes did not come with thermal pads applied. Should these not need thermal pads, as well?

Jpeg.jpg

Solution
There are cutouts in the black frame for them (at least that's what it looks like to me). I would say if they wanted to have those connected to the heatsink they wouldn't have left cutouts. One of the cutouts is right over the heatpipe. Which would probably transfer more heat into that VRM than it would suck out. I'd only reapply pads where the old ones are damaged/old.
There are cutouts in the black frame for them (at least that's what it looks like to me). I would say if they wanted to have those connected to the heatsink they wouldn't have left cutouts. One of the cutouts is right over the heatpipe. Which would probably transfer more heat into that VRM than it would suck out. I'd only reapply pads where the old ones are damaged/old.

Reactions: Chrisaka
Solution