r9380 random crashes (3 year problem)

Oct 9, 2018
So, this is a problem that has persisted for about 2-3 years and I can't even completely remember when or how it started. My situation has made it pretty complicated.

My old PC was an intel i7 860, yeah the weird 1156 that was ...strange. Over the years I upgraded the ram to some decent gskill 1333 and an adata ssd and my graphics card, about 4 times. The last one, which is where I can remember the problems coming from was to the R9 380 - the sapphire nitro 4GB edition. My PC was about 8 years old when these problems started happening, and I originally bought it from cyberpower, the Ram was shite, that's why I replaced it, the power supply was a true no name but it seemed to do it's job. I moved to live in South Korea so the power changed from 115 to 220 volt (That probably isn't the problem and affects nothing, but at this point I'm not sure what to include.)

On to the problem, my symptoms don't seem to match anyone else's. With the above PC, I started experiencing hard loop crashes while watching youtube. This persisted heavily in Chrome, but the odd time in Firefox. Then, while playing games, I played one total war battle that I can remember about 5 times because the computer just couldn't stay stable long enough to get it done. The screen freezes on whatever is currently there, and the sound loops about one second of audio over and over, sometimes, not even audio, just pure evil static, and loud, like the computer is trying to blow my ear drums. This got worse and worse. Now, I usually don't post things anywhere, since I like to research first. There have been lots of stuttering during youtube reported with my card on chrome so I took the advice of all of the recommendations on all sites I could find. Nothing seemed to work. I even looked on the event viewer and all I could find was the distributed COM error 10016. I tried to fix that by even changing the registry (stupid idea I know) and then windows got really angry and didn't want to work anymore.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I tried reinstalling windows a few times, but lost patience thinking it was something hardware related, like the 10 year old power supply finally dying. So I completely upgraded and got an msi b350 tomahawk, ryzen 1700, decent power supply 80 plus gold, good ram at 2666, and a new case. The only components that I took from the old pc was the graphics card, and hard drives. Yesterday, my dad was on my PC, watching youtube, and it happened again. This time it was different though, he said (and my dad knows nothing about computers) the sound looped for "like a second, or a few seconds" and the screen went black. There was no response, and the monitor was still receiving a signal because it wasn't shutting off or showing power saving mode warnings. I thought I was done with this. But no. I have no idea, but the fact that it is a completely new PC and the only things that remain from the old are the graphics card and hard drives means that it has to be either of them right? I played about 2 hours of total war on the weekend and it ran like a champ (on a side note, moving from sata 2 --> sata 3 is incredible). I don't ever overclock and like low temperatures so no components of either pc ever saw temps above 70 degrees...ever. (on another note, the 1700 seems to idle really high with the stock cooler, 38-41 degrees, which I read is kinda normal) I'm at my wits end and need help. I bow down to the PC master builders, is this just a screwed graphics card? is this a software or hardware issue? Can I fix this? I know that with just one 'crash' it is early to tell, but the fact that it was during youtube with chrome might be a factor? I just want a stable PC. If you are still reading, thank you, and if you can offer advice, thank you even more.

Tim