Question Rack-mountable NAS Sotrage Units

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Hello all,

I run a project studio and deal with all sorts of media-related tasks, not to mention that all my hobbies are PC/Media related. I do a lot of full HD video at 60FPS (5MB/s files) and I am starting to dabble in the 4k video market as well. I am currently looking into a serious upgrade to my NAS unit for future proofing my storage expansions. I started out with the Western Digital EX4 and then jumped to the Western Digital PR4100. It's been a great upgrade, but I want something that is more upgrade friendly/future proof. I want the options to add more drives down the line, and I am not sure if it is possible, but to add more NAS units that can be 'daisy chained' together.

I was currently looking into rack-mountable NAS units. I see Synology and Qnap offerings, but I don't know much about how they run. I build desktops for gaming and media purposes, so I am familiar with CPUs and ram. I see that rack-mountable NAS units appear to have lots of hardware upgrade options, which is an option I would like.

Right now, my main uses for the PR4100 is back up and cloud access. I also use it as a local streaming box for media. I have done a little research on the rack-mountable units, but I am not sure what operating systems they use or what setups there are out there. I would like something I can set up quickly, and add more drives to down the road, all while keeping a cloud access option on my mobile devices. With the Western Digital PR4100, you load in your drives, power it on, and all the settings are a simple setup in the units built in OS. Pretty user-friendly. I would like to have something similar in a rack-mount form. I currently have 4 WD Red drives that are 8TB each, and I plan on buying more of them down the line when I choose an upgrade. Eventually, I would like to add a second rack mount NAS and chain it to the first one to expand even more, but I was not sure if that was an option, and if I would have to stick to one brand in order to achieve that?

This is one I have been currently looking at, but I really don't know much about these larger units. Any info anyone could give would be much appreciated! Thanks.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
How many PCs have to access this NAS simultaneously? If it is more than one, you might want to get a NAS with 10GE and a switch to support 10GE.

I was reading about that actually. Thanks for the tip. Overall, my pc will be the main one accessing it. Not many others. I may be trying to run a couple gaming servers for a few friends and I, but only 5 to 8 of us play, and not usually all at once.

The biggest thing is, I'm not exactly sure what all a full NAS can do. I just really want to be able to exertions as I need it without having to buy a brand new full unit. And if I can add a second rack mount unit if I happen to fill all the bays, I'd like them both to work together as one unit... If that makes sense.

TRENDING THREADS