Radeon 2 vs. Geforce3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
My month is still hanging open, W :eek: W!! So are you telling me that if I showed you a 45 FPS animation and a 60 FPS animation you will be able to tell the difference and the rate? Or during game play when the frame rate changes from the max refresh rate of montior lets say 100hz (100FPS) to lets say 50 FPS then 61 FPS 55 FPS and then back to 100 FPS that you would notice it? Are you really saying that after around 25 FPS the brain uses other cues to determine speed such as blurring since of the limitations of signals from eyes to brain. Obvously it is the eyes that does the blurring and not the brain. The brain as you say gets a 25 FPS image rate. If the image is blurred then the brain is cued by it and the amount of blurring is used to determine speed. Obviously the strobe effect of CRT monitors limit the natural blurring of an image by the eyes.

That was a very good explanation by the way :smile: .<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/24/01 11:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

that has to be the most in depth description i have ever seen. respect is warrented. but i was simply saying as long as frames will stay above 30+ it owuld be smoth taking out some variobles of course and at 60 framsyou cannot proccess higher. that was interesting at any rate. i wasnt realy getting in to refresh thats dependant on monitor as well as video if the card refreshes at 200 lets say and the monitor at 60hrz then you get a bottle neck. in video quality. anyways im sure having 200fps is good so it will stop slow down that wasnt what i was trying to say however. and sorry but im used to talking to idiots that listen to the people that make the stuff insted of using it and doing there own resurch. i must say this was a welcome convo.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I'm fully awawre that 30 fps + is just only just smooth...yes I will agree with you there. But In FPS games, just only smooth, to the naked eye, is not the same as being fast! Im talking about traveling as fast as I can over the game terrain. Not just only smooth to the eye.

...I'll kick your ass all over town in LandWarrior if ur at 30 fps...lol

There's a big difference between "smooth" to the naked eye....and raw speed which drives my character accross
the gamescape.

I can't process higher than 60FPS? ...according to you anyway...BUT MY CPU CAN !!!!!!! And that creats an advatage in what I see vs what my opponent sees.....It's not about pleasing my eye,... or rods.... or cones....or some refresh rate...or some anal-retentive techno crap.

...It's about driving the program fast.

Haven't you ever played a really old game on a new computer and seen how freaking blazing fast it is??

Hell...try scrolling in Warcraft II on a new computer...LOLOLOL

But what's the point in telling a smart ass know it all like you. Just come on in, and I'll show you....hehehehe.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 05/24/01 11:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You tell him bud. I'd like to see Blade2G playing Quake 3 at 30FPS so I can kick his ass all over the place. Listen Blade, I am a gamer and I know how it works. People with 30FPS are usually fragbaits. Your computer must be "fast enough" so it won't drop frame rates when things get ugly. But for a Radeon, I heard 40fps is good enough because it has consistent frame rates, they don't drop as fast as the GTS does. That's different than 26fps on tv that appears really smooth.

Sh!t Happens.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Are you being sracastic? Besides, we've had this discussion/debate/argument already. let them have their fun!

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well I wasn't 100% right with my above post anyways, sarcastic? Who me? naaaaaa. Sometimes I do come off that way unintentionally I might add. Rods and cones of the eye does play a part in this discussion for those who are interested to know if someone can really tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, then go <b>HERE</b>:

<A HREF="http://www.penstarsys.com/editor/30v60/30v60p1.htm" target="_new">http://www.penstarsys.com/editor/30v60/30v60p1.htm</A>

Let us know what you think.

G

i didnt know ya did but by any means its all good. i wasnt pointing out games i was pointing out the video cards. i was pointing out clearity in picture and the fact 60fps is all you need for smooth clear looking picture. sure i hate playing at 30 to 50 fps since i hardly get over 35fps. but i dont have problems. i wasnt taking into affect my computer config could be better then others and oppoligise for that. but i will say im not a software tech and only a hardware tech and i am a gamer. i have clans in a few games heh. but this was defanitly a fun post.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.

TRENDING THREADS