Radeon 3650 AGP

jornb87

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi all.

My old radeon 9800 pro broke, and I got a Sapphire Radeon 3650 512MB AGP (old computer...) as a replacement. I also bought a new 24" monitor. I installed the newest drivers (agp hotfix drivers) and everything went fine for about a week. Today I removed my new monitor and replaced it with an old 19" 4:3.

Then something happened. When I booted windows again, the screen said "no signal" when the windows logon menu had loaded. I started in VGA/safemode and it worked fine. I tried to reinstall the video card drivers, both with and without Catalyst Control Center.

Windows now detects my video card correctly, but any tiny effect (like scrolling in a window) is very slow. When I run dxdiag, it says directX is not supported, and when i try to run CCC, it says "the features in the ATI Catalyst Control Center Basic View do not support the currently active graphics processor."

Does anybody have any idea on whats wrong? It sounds like a hardware error to me, but I have only had the card for a week, and earlier today I was playing games like Red Alert 3 with no problems.

I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers completely, by searching the register and manually deleting all ati dll files in System32 as described on http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_3.html, but no luck.

I guess formatting may be a next step, but it's a pain :(

My spec is
Motherboard: Asus P4C800 deluxe i875P
RAM: 2x512 MB
Graphics card: Radeon 3650 AGP (8x)

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Well when I had my HD3650 after installing the HDMI drivers off the disk my computer froze, I restarted and the screen was blank so I had to reformat :(

I downloaded the drivers from the manufacturers website (HIS, Sapphire , etc.) and worked fine. CCC 8.4 was the best for me. Good Luck.

jornb87

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

Yes, I was using the hotfix drivers. After some restarts, I got it working 50% of the time, but I sat down and formatted the hard drive, and it works fine now :) Guess it was a software problem anyway :)

I didn't get to try the 8.4 drivers, but I guess the 9.6 drivers are best as long as they work :)

Thanks for the replies all.