Radeon 4850 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goleyrob

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hello,

I bought an HP computer last year. The video card seems to be dying on me. I'm receiving blue screens and lines on start-up. I can't really do anything without a freeze 5 minutes later.

I'm planning to purchase a Radeon 6850 card next month. In regards to the 6850, Radeon's site states:

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
• 500 Watt or greater power supply recommended

With my current setup, will I be able to run the card? Will I have to upgrade my CPU as well. The power consumption between the 4850 and 6850 is pretty close.

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410t series
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-760 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
• 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] from 4GB
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
• 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
• 450W Power Supply

Thanks,
Robert

Solution

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You should be able to run it fine. The 6850 is fairly frugal on power, and you have a HP machine, so the 450W power supply should deliver all 450W if needed.

You should be safe to upgrade. If anything, I suspect the 4850 might have consumed more than any 6850 you want to upgrade to.

Do you game a lot ? If so, I'd recommend a 7850.

Solution

Goleyrob

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the information. I'm a casual gamer. I was planning on playing Guild Wars 2 before my hardware problems. I'd like to start it up next month.

Honestly, I didn't look into the 7850. I'll definitely take a look at it.

I'm not great at deciphering hardware issues. I updated my drivers (card, motherboard). Rolled back my drivers. I'm planning to take the card out and examine it tonight. After booting up with the card running I receive a blue screen within 5 minutes. When booting up there are vertical lines on the windows start-up screen.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Definitely sounds like a hardware failure. If you are curious if you can identify the type of failure of the GPU, use this page to compare and identify your screen artifacts (lines, other weird anomalies):

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

Goleyrob

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks that's a great little site. Also, when I say there are "vertical lines on the windows start-up screen," there's really only 3-5 on one side.

The blue screen I receive contains text.

Status
Not open for further replies.