Radeon 5000 vertical stripes problem

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Hmmm...I've looked on many forums, and it seems that the vertical stripe problem for the 5000 cards is pretty wide spread. Its strange, instead of crashing with a blue screen, it crashes with the vertical stripes... I can't get prime95 blend to run without bringing up the stripes (it doesn't happen in games). Anyone else have the vertical stripes problem? Anyone know why/how to fix? I have a sapphire 5850.

BillAnderson702

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I have the problem a couple times daily. I'm extremely frustrated with this sh*t. I am almost to the point of doing a RMA. I hope to god there is a driver fix to handle it. It happens to me when I play COD MW2.

Anyway, I will let you know if I run across a solution. I like the card a ton (5850) except for when it does this stuff.

Peace.

Bill Anderson

From what I've read around, it would appear that the memory on these cards do not have a temperature gauge, nor extra cooling.

After learning that, I tried underclocking my memory settings by 50MHz and have not had those vertical stripes since. I also over clock the core, which makes up for the performance loss and more.

BillAnderson702

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Well I have noticed that since I have undone my extra settings of clock and memory on overdrive, the problem has lessened some. However, when I had it overclocked, I would run the fan at 45% which would keep the card cool where ever the temp gauge is located.

I noticed I missed my 30-day return option, so I'm keeping it and will deal with Sapphire if I get frustrated enough down the road.

Bill Anderson