PoppySalt

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Hey guys,

So I'm a little confused. When I did research into my set-up I kept seeing people say that 550w is plenty for the 5700xt and that that's actually even overshooting it. When I built my PC it wouldn't turn on. I took it to one guy and he said that my mobo was bricked and so I got a replacement. Still wouldn't work. Then I take it to Micro Center and they said that the GPU was bricked and so I got a replacement. Still nothing. I finally call Gigabyte and they said that the GPU needs at least 600w. With that said, how many people are actually running the 5700xt with 550w? I think I even did a PSU calculator and put all of the specific equipment I would be using. Is there something I'm missing? Is it really a PSU problem? I know my CPU, RAM, M.2, and everything else are fine.

Any ideas as to maybe what's wrong?

Edit: It turned on, but was just a black screen.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey guys,

So I'm a little confused. When I did research into my set-up I kept seeing people say that 550w is plenty for the 5700xt and that that's actually even overshooting it. When I built my PC it wouldn't turn on. I took it to one guy and he said that my mobo was bricked and so I got a replacement. Still wouldn't work. Then I take it to Micro Center and they said that the GPU was bricked and so I got a replacement. Still nothing. I finally call Gigabyte and they said that the GPU needs at least 600w. With that said, how many people are actually running the 5700xt with 550w? I think I even did a PSU calculator and put all of the specific equipment I would be using. Is there something I'm missing? Is it really a PSU...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey guys,

So I'm a little confused. When I did research into my set-up I kept seeing people say that 550w is plenty for the 5700xt and that that's actually even overshooting it. When I built my PC it wouldn't turn on. I took it to one guy and he said that my mobo was bricked and so I got a replacement. Still wouldn't work. Then I take it to Micro Center and they said that the GPU was bricked and so I got a replacement. Still nothing. I finally call Gigabyte and they said that the GPU needs at least 600w. With that said, how many people are actually running the 5700xt with 550w? I think I even did a PSU calculator and put all of the specific equipment I would be using. Is there something I'm missing? Is it really a PSU problem? I know my CPU, RAM, M.2, and everything else are fine.

You need to list all the parts you used.

Edit. How do you know the other parts are fine?

PoppySalt

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
You need to list all the parts you used.

Edit. How do you know the other parts are fine?
Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon 5700xt
2x4 8gb DDR4
x1 M.2 Drive
x2 120mm Nocturne fans
EVGA SuperNOVA 550W
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming m-ITX
Sliger M550

I have a good idea, because I've had the MOBO replaced and the graphics card checked by Gigabyte. Micro Center said all of the other parts were fine and working and I also took it to a guy before them and he said all of the parts are fine too. I mean, maybe I can do more tests to see.

Edit: You do have a point. I mean MC and the previous guy both misdiagnosed it (potentially), so who knows maybe something else it broken. Though I have no way of testing it, unless I wanna spend more money on parts and then take then do the hassle of sending it back.

Hey guys,

AMD says Minimum 600w (700W recommended) for a single 5700XT. See Page 2 of the AMD booklet linked below. Also make sure you have both 8pin and 6pin (or 2 x 8pins if required) power connectors attached.
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-rx-5700-series-quick-start-guide-en.pdf

You're 50W under the minimum spec for a reference card. And 150W less than what AMD recommends. If your card has any above spec features (extra fans, factory overclock) it may need more juice. This is why I run a 850W PSU with my 5700XT.

Plus, as a rule, using a power source that's minimum spec means you'll be putting max strain on that PSU all the time. You want something rated higher than you need so you put less fatigue on it. And, keep in mind, capacitors and such in the PSU wear over time so it's max output from day one is not it's max output 2, 3, 6 years later. So never skimp on the PSU.

Last edited:
Solution

PoppySalt

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
AMD says Minimum 600w (700W recommended) for a single 5700XT. See Page 2 of the AMD booklet linked below. Also make sure you have both 8pin and 6pin (or 2 x 8pins if required) power connectors attached.
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-rx-5700-series-quick-start-guide-en.pdf
Yeah, I see, however I remember reading somewhere where people said that companies usually overshoot the wattage recommendation. I guess not... though do you think 700w is necessary? I mean, it's not like there will be a performance boost, so why 700? I'm gonna pick up a 650w from MC, hopefully that'll be all fine.

Also, I'll make sure to have those.

Yeah, I see, however I remember reading somewhere where people said that companies usually overshoot the wattage recommendation. I guess not... though do you think 700w is necessary? I mean, it's not like there will be a performance boost, so why 700? I'm gonna pick up a 650w from MC, hopefully that'll be all fine.

I added to my reply. That will answer your question.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

What they recommend has absolutely nothing to do with anything they have no clue what the rest of your parts are.

The card pulls about 245 watts under a complete 100% load.
65 watt CPU might get 85 under load, and about 60 watts for the rest.

Your entire PC might pull 400 watts under a full load.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

You're 50W under the minimum spec for a reference card. And 150W less than what AMD recommends. If your card has any above spec features (extra fans, factory overclock) it may need more juice. This is why I run a 850W PSU with my 5700XT.

Plus, as a rule, using a power source that's minimum spec means you'll be putting max strain on that PSU all the time. You want something rated higher than you need so you put less fatigue on it. And, keep in mind, capacitors and such in the PSU wear over time so it's max output from day one is not it's max output 2, 3, 6 years later. So never skimp on the PSU.
Not the best advice they have no clue what the rest of the parts are and jump up their very poor estimate to allow for a cheap over rated power supply.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gaming-x-review,8.html
254 watts for the MSI OC model card under gaming load and certainly not just booting load.

I ran a powercore devil 5700xt on a corsair cx550 for about 6 months.

It ran fine in most circumstances apart from the odd power spike (which it is known for) made it **** the bed and disable the drivers until a reboot.

Thats odd behaviour that you don't want so I would recommend a bigger psu really, since dropping a leadex 3 650w in there the issue has been gone.

That said your system should be booting and working fine with a 550w psu apart from under the most extreme circumstances.

This may sound stupid but you haven't been plugging into the boards video output instead of the 5700xt's??

This has been done many times before as a novice mistake.