Radeon 5750 Display Driver Stopped Responding

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battsman

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
NEED HELP RELATED TO SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 FREEZES!

I've built a new computer and I'm having quite a few graphics freezes. Generally, these freezes start with the mouse still responding, but you can't click on anything (no hyperlinks, no icons, etc. work - just the mouse moves around on the screen). This is typically followed up in a few moments by either a black screen or some other random mono-colored screen (Grey, teal, off-white, etc.) and then after another pause, windows refresheshs and returns the message: "ATI Display driver stopped responding and was recovered." I've tried the usual stuff (e.g.: loaded the latest ATI Driver, powered down computer, reseated the card in the motherboard, etc.") to no avail. On occassion, I'm also getting random artifacts on the screen too (small off color squares, etc..)

Interestingly, I dropped back to the standard windows vga driver and it doesn't appear to bo locking up. Of course that isn't reallly a long term solution - why have a 24" monitor that you can't use full resolution on?

I've tried to contact Sapphire tech support, but their help ticket system is clearly <insert description of excrement here>. I also tried to contact AMD support and the Canadian <insert plural description of rectum here> are on break and don't return until January 4th?!?!?!? (AMD you just lost a customer over that one - I'll likely never build another AMD or ATI solution).

Any suggestions from the community since the mfgs don't have any desire to provide assistance in a reasonable timeframe?

Here's the rig:
Windows 7 Professional 64bit MCE VErsion 6.1 Build 7600 Service Pack 0.0
Intel Core i5 CPU - 750 @ 2.67 GHz
Asus P7P55D EVO Motherboard
Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 4GB 2GBx2 240-pin PC3-10600 DIMM DDR3 Memory KIT
Sapphire Technologies / ATI Radeon 5750 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W RT Power Supply
Boot HD is actually an SSD (Intel X25-M 80 GB)
Data Hd is a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB

Solution

nylts

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I have same video problem.

Here are my computer specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit
Sapphire Radeon HD5770
Intel DP55KG
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 860 cpu
Antec Neopower 650W
Samsung DVD RW
Seagate 500 GB - ST3500418AS Barracuda
Kingston 4 GB (2x2 GB) RAM
Antec Case 2 internal fans

What should i do?

orbitron

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I have the same problem. I have the XFX ATI Radeon HD 5750. My is worst. I just built a new desktop and it happens anywhere & anytime. During BIOS setup or during Windows Installation. I have not even reach the complete installation of Windows yet.
I tried replacing it with a different Video Card and I never had problem.

PLEASE HELP!

G

Hii suat,
Thnx for the help no crashes anymore here!
one question, does the videocard fan goes automaticly blow harder when its getting hotter and hotter?

please help :D

al2suarez

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
That is not a fix but temporary work-around. If you google at all reviews for 5850 you will notice that they all idle at GPU Clock @ 157MHz and Memory Clock @ 300MHz @ around 36C [for example, http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1238/10/ ]. Reviewers never mention flicker problems. So my take is ATI gave reviewers good cards and turned around and gave us a revised cheaper version to save money. I had 2 Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Toxic 1GB and 1 ASUS 5870 and ALL 3 of them FLICKERED like crazy at idle. Yes, I tried the suggested solution of creating a profile setting GPU Clock @ 400MHz and Memory Clock @900MHz and it did work but I not only wanted a fast video card but I also bought them because of power savings at idle. Both Sapphire and ATI stated to me that it was a hardware issue and that I should RMA. And I really doubt that the upcoming 10.4 will fix the FLICKER problem since they have known about this since late last year.

makansiang

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
This is a common error. It has nothing to do with ATI, Sapphire or the drivers.

It's most likely caused by a windows update. This error has so far only been seen in vista and occassionally XP.

I am able to fix the problem on at least 10 computers by uninstalling a certain windows update.

There are entire forums dedicated to this issue. If you bothered to google the error you would see it very common with nvidia cards as well.

http://www.repairyourpcnow.com/resources/atikmdag-has-stopped-responding.php

i used hd 5870, FOR THE FIRST TIME!!i got a lot of trouble with these card, i did a lot of trial and errors to find the solution, incl installing win xp 32 and 64 bit, win 7, win vista (doesnt work)

i updated to the lastest driver (useless too)

i downclocked the card, get better but still crash after couple hours (and EXACTLY UNACCEPTABLE WITH THE PRICE)

and i RMA it again with GTX 400 series, whalaaaaa...

ITS WORK PERFECTLY WITHOUT A LOT OF BORING AND USELESS RITUAL....

can you explain this??
bcause u said that nvidia got same issue here?? huh??

and your solution just workarraound without explain the exact problem.

some user hd 5870 could solve this just by downclocking. is it still about windows update huh??

i thing it is card fault, MASSIVE CARD FAULT and i never want to use radeon product anymore!!

DISAPOINTING AND BORING RITUAL?? NO MORE!!

BBDiaz

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
With my Asus EA5750 1Gb I also had endless messages " ATI Radeon family display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered. " and occasional freezes with color corruption. But it only occured when I turned off my Monitor (Identical screens) connected by DisplayPort cable. When I only turn off the lcd connected by DVI all works fine. So it looks like my card needs the DisplayPort as primary port....

Status
Not open for further replies.