Radeon 64 DDR help

G

Hi I am new to this board and I had a question about my new Radeon card. My previous card was a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. It seems that my Radeon doesnt run as smoothly as my Voodoo 3 did. Some games are kind of choppy and others I get lower frame rates compared to the voodoo3. I have directx 8, I have the latest driver for the card. My computer is a compaq and it doesnt seem they have a updated driver for my AGP slot at the moment. My comp specs are

Athlon 600 MHZ
256 MB of Ram
20 Gig HD
Radeon 64 DDR.

Any ideas will be helpful thanks.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
What brainchild here is trying to say is, do a search on anything 3dfx and remove it. Sometimes old files lurking about can muck up your system. However you may not get all of the remnants of 3dfx out of your system. The other alternative would be to do a fresh install.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
It's likely that you have problems with old 3dfx drivers. Uninstall all of 3dfx drivers. You can look at driver manager and remove whatever 3dfx. The best way is to perform a clean install and you will get the best experiences with Radeon =)

Nvidia or ATI, it's all depend on what you like and system optimization =)

G

Alright well I got all of the 3DFX drivers off my computer but it still didnt get any better. Im wondering if it could be my AGP slot. I believe mine is a 1.0 revision and I believe the Radeon needs a 2.0 revision. Is this true and if it is could this be the problem?

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
How old is your computer? That will let us know whether your AGP is 1 or 2. Also, a clean start is always good when you replace such things as: Motherboards, Video Cards, SCSI CARDS, or a combination of any other baords. Also, if the Sound is on a PCI, make sure that it is on slot #3, as 1 or 2 may conflict with the AGP for such thins as IRQ's. If you know how to isolate IRQs on your Operating system, that may give you more preformance. I have an AIW Radeon, and had to do alot of swapping of cards and drivers,and IRQs plus a clean start to get my card to work, and now it works great.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

I bought it in July I believe so its about 1 year old. Also my compaq came with my Voodoo3 and the drivers. Should I still just reinstall my compaq quick restore anyway? I have a program called PCIlist and it has listed some problems like, as you said, I should make a unique IRQ for the card. I will admit I dont really know much about IRQs but is there a place where I can learn how to make a unique one for it?

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
One way is to make sure that your Sound card, if it is PCI is on Slot 3. Another way is to go into your BIOS under integrated Preiferals or Power Managment and look for assign IRQ for Video. To see if you are sharring IRQ's go to the control Panal, select System, select Device Manager and Double click the Computer Icon at the top. That will show you a list of devices and which IRQ's each is using. Alos in the Bios is enable 2x or 4x AGP. Your computer is new enough to at lest support AGP2, if not as well as three. Make sure that in the same heading that AGP Apiture size is 64MB. at any rate, what model Compact are you using?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First off pop open the case and take a look at your north bridge, let us know if it says VIA or AMD. I am guessing that you have an AMD 750 irongate chipset in that ccompaq but I can't be sure. After giving me that information I can direct you to the place to get the latest AGP drivers which should take care of your problem.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Alright my motherboard is a Via VT82c686a I believe. Ill admit im new to motherboards and im not sure if that is the right number your looking for but otherwise its a Via.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First download the following:
Recent radeon driver <A HREF="http://support.ati.com/products/pc/graphics/index.html" target="_new">Here</A>
via 4n1 4.31 <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm" target="_new">Here</A>
MS direct x 8.1 <A HREF="http://www.msihardware.com/files/directx/DX81eng.exe" target="_new">Here</A>

Uninstaall radeon drivers and install standard pci drivers.....reboot.

Install radeon drivers...do not reboot
Install via 4n1 drivers...do not reboot
Install DX 8.1 now reboot

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Alright I did what you said ncogneto and I got a little bit better results about 4 FPS more. I also notice that my PCI card is on slot 3 but according to the way arsend
said to see if its on a shared IRQ it is stuck with the Radeon on 10. My compaq is a Presario 5868 but im not sure how to get to my BIOS.

G

With Compaqs, you press the F2 button during boot up to get to the BIOS.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Before you get into the Bios, take out ever card except the Radeon. Once you do that. go and tell the Bios that your want to set an IRQ for Video. Once that is done, reboot, load your drivers than see if everything is working. From their, put one card at a time in the PCI slot, making sure that your Sound card is in slot #3. If this doesn't solve your problems, let us know.