RADEON 64 DDR - NEED Help Please

G

I'm running a ASUS P2B-F Motherboard with the Intel 440BX Chipset. Board has been Flashed to current BIOS.

When I install the RADEON AGP my monitor doesnt aknowledge its hooked up. I have tried everything. ATI says the Card will run on the 440BX Chipset...Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance from a 3 day no hope trying person

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Have you tried different bios settings? Particulary anything doing with AGP. In your bios do you have AGP selected instead of PCI for the video card? IRQ's, is there an IRQ available for the Radeon? What video card did you have prior to this? When you say my monitor doesn't aknowledge its hooked up means as soon as you turn on your computer nothing happens correct? Any beeps? and how many?

G

I had a Voodoo 3 in the AGP and it worked fine..still does as thats what i have in here now...when I put the RADEON in the AGP after deleting Voodoo drivers and selecting Regualr VGA...take the voodoo card out..then put in Radeon in..turn on PC...the PC boots up..but monitor os blank..and the monitor light blinks showing its not getting a signal..Could I call you and you posssibly walk me thru a few things to check ? You seem to know alot about it.

mm2k

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
There is a well known problem with Voodoo drivers not unisntalling properly which generally f**k up the system for a new card - particularly the Radeon i think. Check this forum, I'll see if I can find the exact details.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You guys are sooooo smart in giving the advices that you don't even get the question. The guy is talking about monitor not even turning on when he boots the system. How in the world he can "install" the driver in windows if there is no picture even in the BIOS?

As far as the question goes, take that card back and try the other one. I had a Rage 128 giving me the same thing. Exchange it, try, if no go, then Radeon is not for ya... heh

Post, we'll do the search... :wink:

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Do you get a bios screen when you first turn on your computer? IMPORTANT INFO. If your computer is booting up into windows and you see nothing from the time you startup up your computer until windows then I would say you need to exchange your Radeon. Now if your computer doesn't detect a video card it will usually stop and give you (I believe, could be wrong on beep number) three bios beeps out of the PC speaker, it will never fully boot into windows. Now if you see a bios screen starting up and then subsequently the monitor turns off then the Radeon is out of sync with the monitor or is trying to drive it at to high of frequency in which the monitor is protecting itself. This would be more like a driver conflict with old voodoo drivers. One more question, you don't have built in graphics on your motherboard right?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Checking out the PDF version of your manual.

<b>AGP Frequency Selection (AGPFS)</b> next to your ide cable connection on your motherboard, this is a jumper that selects either 2/3 ratio or 1/1 ration between your CPU front side bus (FSB) speed and AGP speed. If your cpu FSB is running at 100hz then it should be selected at 2/3 ratio, pins 1 and 2 shorted or jumpered across. If FSB speed is at 66hz then it should be selected for 1/1 ratio pins 2 and 3 shorted. Let us know how this is configured. What CPU do you have in your machine? This will affect this setting, I need to know in order to help. Now the VooDoo doesn't use AGP transfers so it is possible that this is configured wrong allowing the Voodoo to work but not the Radeon which does require AGP transfers.

<b>Some Bios settings:</b>

1. Standard CMOS Setup
<b>Video</b> set to <b>EGA/VGA</b>

2. Bios Features
<b>PCI/VGA Palette Snoop</b> set to <b>disabled</b>
<b>Video ROM BIOS Shadw</b> set to <b>Disabled</b>

3. Chipset Features Setup
<b>Graphics Aperture Size</b> set to half of your memory or <b>64MB</b>
<b>Video Memory Cache Mode</b> set to <b>UC</b> new setting for me, something similar on Via boards which doesn't seem to do anything for the Radeon.

4. Power Management (long shot but just maybe)
<b>Video Off Option</b> set to <b>Always On</b>

5. PNP and PCI Setup
<b>PNP OS Installed</b> set to <b>Yes</b>
<b>Slot 1/2/3/4/5 IRQ</b> all set to <b>auto</b>

One more thing, if your first pci slot next to your AGP slot has a card in it, move it to another slot. Reason is because the first pci slot shares an IRQ with the AGP slot (Radeon). Sometimes the Radeon just doesn't want to share an IRQ. So keep that slot empty for now.

<b>VGA Bios Sequence</b> set to <b>AGP/PCI</b>

These seem to be the most applicable settings in the bios for proper operation of the Radeon. You may have to install your Voodoo to set, just the bios section that is. Do need more info as in CPU, amount of memory, operating system, installed cards etc. It is hard to figure out what you have and don't have which could cause conflicts. Good luck and let us know.