Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk
CPU: ryzen 7 2700X
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair 3200 Mhz
Storage: 512GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
PSU: 850GQ EVGA
GPU: MSI RX 6600 XT

My question is that now that I have upgraded to a Radeon 6600 XT, literally none of my games are detecting this GPU and are auto detecting for the lowest settings. Why is this happening? I even feel like when I customize for highest settings I get a poor wuality picture compared to the old GTX 970 I was using, which makes no sense. This gpu should be a powerhouse and instead its performing like some DDR3. In the Radeon Software app that manages your card settings, it says "marginal" performance from games that are 12+ years old. Idk what to do.

Solution
Check driver status in device manager, sounds like your GPU or drivers aren't working properly. If games are defaulting to lowest details and still struggle, I suspect the games are running in software reference renderer instead of using the GPU.
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk
CPU: ryzen 7 2700X
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair 3200 Mhz
Storage: 512GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
PSU: 850GQ EVGA
GPU: MSI RX 6600 XT

My question is that now that I have upgraded to a Radeon 6600 XT, literally none of my games are detecting this GPU and are auto detecting for the lowest settings. Why is this happening? I even feel like when I customize for highest settings I get a poor wuality picture compared to the old GTX 970 I was using, which makes no sense. This gpu should be a powerhouse and instead its performing like some DDR3. In the Radeon Software app that manages your card settings, it says "marginal" performance from games that are 12+ years old. Idk what to do.
Did you install the new card before removing old GPU drivers and everything, and did you install the new card drivers

Reactions: KnightsCross

InvalidError

Titan
Check driver status in device manager, sounds like your GPU or drivers aren't working properly. If games are defaulting to lowest details and still struggle, I suspect the games are running in software reference renderer instead of using the GPU.

Solution

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015

I have checked it and it says it's working properly, all updates in place and I reinstralled everything from scratch. I don't know if this is relevant or no0t but when I auto detect settings virtually all games I am running says "card not identified". However windows seems to have identified it just fine.

Yes I did all that, thank you. When using auto detect in all my games, it always aays "card not identified" or unknown, but windows says drivers are working properly, and it has the card identified.
Windows is over riding your GPU drivers with windows default that why windows detects the card "right" but games can't identify.... Turn off windows auto update and install off drivers and when you install updates make sure you don't install windows graphics drivers. In device manager uninstall the drivers they say are proper. And reinstall the GPU drivers from radeon

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
Windows is over riding your GPU drivers with windows default that why windows detects the card "right" but games can't identify.... Turn off windows auto update and install off drivers and when you install updates make sure you don't install windows graphics drivers. In device manager uninstall the drivers they say are proper. And reinstall the GPU drivers from radeon
Did everything you said, to the letter. I still get the message "Hardware not identified. Video quality set to lowest settings." I am at my wits end. I got lucky when I found this card for as cheap as it was, and it's not as good as my crumbling, decade old gtx970. I feel so defeated.

Did everything you said, to the letter. I still get the message "Hardware not identified. Video quality set to lowest settings." I am at my wits end. I got lucky when I found this card for as cheap as it was, and it's not as good as my crumbling, decade old gtx970. I feel so defeated.
Is the GPU power plugged in and have you made sure the GPU is seated fully and properly

From what I read the GPU you have has 2 8pin pcie plugs that are needed and it's recommended you use two different pcie cables not to daisy chain one cable

InvalidError

Titan
I have checked it and it says it's working properly, all updates in place and I reinstralled everything from scratch. I don't know if this is relevant or no0t but when I auto detect settings virtually all games I am running says "card not identified". However windows seems to have identified it just fine.
What driver does device manager says your GPU is using? Whatever you installed or something else?

If games cannot tell you have a GPU installed, then it sounds like your GPU is running the generic VGA adapter default drivers.

Reactions: white.a.drew

InvalidError

Titan
We just tried going over that he said it didn't work removing the generic drivers and disabling windows auto updates to install it
You cannot remove the generic VGA driver since it is a critical component for safe mode and for the computer to be usable while vendor-specific drivers are missing. Vendor-specific drivers from Windows Updates that may end up overwriting manually updated drivers are a different thing. If the GPU ends up running generic VGA driver, it means vendor drivers have failed to initialize the GPU and WIndows used generic drivers as a fall-back.

Reactions: white.a.drew
You cannot remove the generic VGA driver since it is a critical component for safe mode and for the computer to be usable while vendor-specific drivers are missing. Vendor-specific drivers from Windows Updates that may end up overwriting manually updated drivers are a different thing. If the GPU ends up running generic VGA driver, it means vendor drivers have failed to initialize the GPU and WIndows used generic drivers as a fall-back.
That's why I was asking if the card is plugged in to pcie power this generally is a issue when the card doesn't get enough power

TRENDING THREADS