Radeon 6850 HDMI issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hello guys,

I have recently bought a new monitor, Samsung S24A350H and I begin facing the following issue. Previously, my monitor supports DVI signal, so I did not have much of a problem. However, this new monitor only supports VGA / HDMI. Most of the time, while gaming through HDMI, the screen would either go black for 2 seconds (not constantly, just once in a while it would act up) or would flicker a few times, like the monitor has suddenly lost signal. I have also experienced the said phenomenon a few times (not often) while not gaming.

What could be the possible culprit? Monitor? HDMI cable?

Btw, HDMI cable was given by the reseller for free, I suppose it's a poor quality one.

Here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ stock
Sapphire Radeon HD6850 Toxic
8GB of HyperX RAM
Xigmatek 750W PSU

Edit: I'm currently running Catalyst 11.4

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Yea, I was thinking it's due to the cable too. However, my research led me to believe otherwise. People on other forums say HDMI transmits digital signals, so it will either work or don't work at all. Oh well, I'm gonna go get a better quality cable tonight just to be sure.

randomkid

Distinguished

1. Go to CCC and reset everything to Factory Default. If this does not fix the problem, try #2.
2. The monitor must have a VGA cable & your video card should have a DVI->VGA adaptor. Try to connect your monitor via the VGA cable. Do not worry about any loss of quality by going analog. At 1920x1080 VGA is fine. I myself find VGA connection less problematic and smoother than HDMI. And if you connect your PC to your monitor via VGA, you free up the HDMI port for media players/Bluray/DVD if you have them.

By the way, very nice monitor. Hope everything works fine.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008

I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully I get positive results. Anyway, thanks. Will return in a day or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.