Radeon 6870 or 6950?

1snoop2

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I'm going to be building a PC in January and I'm wondering if the little extra I would have to pay for a Radeon 6950 is worth it as I'm on a tight budget. I'm also wondering if there is any news on the 7000 series and if I should just wait for that series. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for reminding me of this!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Late December/Early January

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [Crysis 2, Just Cause 2, GTA IV, BF3], Video Editing, Movies and Videos

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Will be getting a Thermaltake toughpower 775W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3), i5 2500k

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.newegg.ca, www.tigerdirect.ca ( <--- only here if it's cheaper or if it's cheaper )

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD cards, brand doesn't bother me too much as long as it's quality and has good features.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, But at a later date

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x900

1snoop2

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Oops my bad!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Late December/Early January

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [Crysis 2, Just Cause 2, GTA IV, BF3], Video Editing, Movies and Videos

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Will be getting a Thermaltake toughpower 775W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3), i5 2500k

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.newegg.ca, www.tigerdirect.ca ( <--- only here if it's cheaper or if it's cheaper )

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD cards, brand doesn't bother me too much as long as it's quality and has good features.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, But at a later date

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x900

TT psus are crap I would avoid at all costs, its not like they are that cheap either, also you never mentioned your budget...

but with the info you provided id get a 6950 in case you decide to upgrade your monitor down the road but honestly I think that either card will suffice but overall Id say the 6950 is a better buy overall

gameranew22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
DO NOT get a HIS ICEq 6870...the majority of reviews on Newegg and on this forum, and from personal experience, all are telling of a serious design flaw with those cards causing inescapable TDR's for higher-end, multi-core-intensive games like Skyrim, BF3 and the Bioshock series. As for the 6950's, I'm in a similar bucket as you, but have you considered going the almost exactly similar Nvidia 560TI route?