Radeon 6950 stutter/skipping in-game

cldd5678

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Hey there,

So back in April I bought a Sapphire HD 6950 2GB and was sort of disappointed with the results. At the time I was midway through Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (playing with a GTX 260) and having a great time with it. The game was smooth, played really well and I had absolutely no problems with it. I was getting close to the end of it when I decided to get the 6950 and installed it then.

When I went back to finish off AC:B the difference in performance was quite noticeable. There was a very prominent stutter, or skipping I guess is the better word, that happened only after I installed the 6950. My mouse also began to not respond properly in-game (as in the camera wasn't moving the full distance that it should have been when I moved the mouse). I didn't think much of it at the time besides it just being a small driver problem or something because I was close to finishing the game and the card did in fact run Dragon Age 2 better than my GTX 260. In case someone asks, yes I did make sure the nVidia drivers were completely uninstalled and used Driver Sweeper before installing the ATI ones. It wouldn't matter now anyway because I got a new SSD for a boot drive and did a reformat over the summer.

I didn't get much time to game during the summer, so again it sort of went under the radar and so we come to present day. Now that I've been back at school my gaming time has gone up and I've started noticing that a lot of games I play get this same sorta skipping effect. For example it's been happening recently in Skyrim, BF3, Saints Row The Third. I've been trying to play Assassin's Creed Revelations and my FPS drops quite frequently, along with the recurring mouse problems from AC:B. I also fired up Batman Arkham City today and am getting the exact same deal minus mouse problems. My rig is:

Intel Q9550 at 2.83 Ghz stock
Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB stock
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
Kingston HyperX RAM 2 x 2GB DDR2 1066
Intel 320 Series 120GB SSD
3 other 7200RPM drives of various make
Creative Audigy 4
Logitech Wave and G500 as mouse and keyboard

It's a couple years old, but unless I'm mistaken it should be able to take on at the very, very least Batman or AC:R, especially if that same rig with a GTX 260 instead of the 6950 could tear through AC:B. I've been working on this for the last two days and it's getting really frustrating. I've been wanting to try swapping it out with my 260 just to see what would happen, but the problem is that that card is back home and I have to wait two weeks to get a chance to do that. I'm getting a feeling that I have a bum card on my hands, but even if it is I don't know how to get an RMA this far out from the purchase date. From what I've heard Sapphire are terrible with their warranties. Really regretting not taking a look at this way earlier, but too late for that now.

Let this be a lesson: don't buy expensive things on a whim to play a game no matter how much you want to :non: .

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas that don't require an RMA that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading that essay, haha

1- You might have installed the CCC that came with the GPU, uninstall it and install the latest CCC drivers it has a big improvement and report back.
2- Also try different DX 9/11 games, and BTW whats' your gaming resolution ?

cldd5678

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Whoops, forgot to mention the PS. It's a Corsair 750TX. I also install CCC straight from AMD. I'll try to reinstall it again just for safety's sake though.

I play at 1920x1080, and although I've tried taking down the resolution in a few games the skip is still there.

Also, I can try the OC but I've done it when I got this rig two years ago and got it to around 3.4 GHz. Maybe the OC wasn't as stable as I thought even though I had thought I tested it enough. Long story short, though, the USB ports on my mobo blew about 8 months down the road so I'm a little wary. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I hear Batman is very graphics hungry.... How does your memory look while in-game... 4GB is not a lot - and it's only DDR2..... running at 1066..? That could be causing problems, especially if your running Windows7, it eats RAM... OC your processor to at least 3.0 may help...

"the USB ports on my mobo blew about 8 months down the road so I'm a little wary" - what does this mean.... you fried your USB ports on your mobo? Maybe you have fried some other part of your motherboard too....

I think you need more RAM and possibly a new motherboard(if you fried something)

cldd5678

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
jdenova, lol I got a new mobo a little while after that. And I was just on my comp one night and suddenly my keyboard and mouse stopped working. Tried plugging things back in and different devices as well, but nothing worked. That's beside the point though.

I'm jumping between a few different games right now, mostly AC:R, Skyrim, BF3, and Arkham City.

AC:R I run mostly everything on high, 1920 x 1080, multisampling off, tried vsync both on and off.

BF3 is all low at 1920 x 1080.

Skyrim is set to High at 1920 x 1080

You need to do some PSU research pal, this is just about the most incorrect statement I have seen on the forum in months, a 6950 can run on a solid 500w unit, regardless if the rails are split or not...

jerzeygamer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

Not according to AMD and not according to electrical science. On top of that you are breaking rule 1-1 and that is NEVER tax a PSU over 80% of its expected rating consistantly. The rule is in every field +30% for 100% cap longevity.