Radeon 7970 Crash Black screen when Gaming

RhysGittoes

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hi,
Im using a radeon 7970 Gpu with windows 8 and the latest amd drivers and whenever I use my gpu for gaming my pc screen will go black and the audio will become frozen. It remains in that state until i hard boot it. I have tried underclocking it and have tried the furmark test. At 85 Celsius it will just crash, i have noticed that my fan only goes to 50 % at that stage so cooling could be the cause. I am using a n 1000w psu so I dont think there are any errors related to power. I just completed installing a new windows 8 onto a new hard disk and before that my Gpu encountered no errors but i do not know how this is OS related.
Thanks for reading
Please Help

Specs:
Win8 pro
Amd Radeon 7970
Intel i5 3570k
8gb Kigston Ram
1000w PSU
Asrock z77 Extreme 6 mobo
Accelero Extreme 7970 gpu fan

Junkmalee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
You said you have all the updated graphics updates..I can assume you have all the windows 8 updates? And what is your voltage for the card being your hitting 85c with an underclock?

Junkmalee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Yea I remember windows 7 would have a reduced functionality mode if you don't activate it..don't know the specifics..maybe it doesn't run direct x properly...but again you said you lowered you clock what about your voltage cos voltage has a lot to do with temp?