Radeon 8500 is my Choice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
kew, i need it to scan tons of notes and occasional graphics so i need speed. hence why i want the ati aiw radeon 8500DV and it's firewire ports plus i need the tv tuner. Any other reason and i'd buy geforce 3.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

hell, firewire and Q-whaterver aside... i have to buy a new card in a few days cause the rest of the box will be here (dont have a comp and need it fast).
I have to decide what will last me. The $100 extra isnt that big a deal to me, well it is if i can get better quality from the 8500.
But the question i pose is, ive had an ATI, 2 as a matter of fact. With those two cards, ive seen a number of bugs and incompatibility problems, AVP and Oni just to name a couple.
I havent heard of ANY trouble with GF3 cards. So, correct me if im wrong, Its probably a safer bet to stick with a GF3 so i dont have trouble again.

Second off, how could ATI release a card with such sh!te drivers? I know they will be better off with an updated driver, but the move that company made just lost them selves a sale.
Please give me a reason to consider this card again!!

G

I am definately an nVidia supporter. So disapointed with ATI, they suck. All you tossers talking about image quality are only jerking your own egos. FFS.

And who the [-peep-] cares about all the extra little features when the whole damn thing is unstable and has compatability problems.

WHEN THE [-peep-] IS ATI GOING TO UNDERSTAND THAT DRIVERS MAKE THE PRODUCT AND WIN THE WARS? nVidia has understood.

When ATI have excellent drivers I will definately look at their product, but until then I don't give a [-peep-]. Gonna buy that GF4 for Doom3. Gonna plug that into my Palamino powered nVidia mobo, yeah!

VIA is another company that doesn't know about driver compatability and stability. Companies that take short cuts with drivers don't deserve respect.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Right! When the GF3 came out the drivers where not hot, in fact they sucked, but that is then. Now the GF3 drivers are excellent and Nvidia once again proved their commitment to excell in drivers. It took Nvidia around 6 months to get the GF3 where it is at, when it first came out the GF2 Ultra beat it in a number of benchmarks. Now the Ultra isn't even close. Reverand at <A HREF="http://www.voodooextreme.com/3dpulpit/Main.html" target="_new">http://www.voodooextreme.com/3dpulpit/Main.html</A> tested the Vision Tek GF3, TI200 and TI500. What amazed me on his review he was able to get the TI200 overclocked from 175mhz/400mhz core/mem to 250mhz!!!/460mhz without a problem with performance virtually the same as a TI500. Meaning for $180 you get a DX8 card with superb drivers and overclocks 42%! WOW that is good. So right now the best bang for the buck has to go to the TI200. AnAndTech did say at ultra high resolutions the Radeon 8500 did have better 2d but the difference now compared between ATI and Nvidia chipped cards has shrunk and for most people it is probably insignificant.

The Radeon 8500 if it performs as advertised would be a very good card for the money but for W2k and XP people it doesn't, nor for Pentium 4 systems. If you are a Win98/WinMe gamer with an AMD system then the Radeon 8500 is the card to beat, look at the following review done by RivaStation now in English and you will see the Radeon 8500 beating the Ti500 more times and not in Win98 and on an AMD system.

<A HREF="http://www.rivastation.com/r8500_1_e.htm" target="_new">RivaStation Radeon8500 Review in english</A>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Do I have to dig up old benchmarks and discussions of problem with the drivers??? I am glad you didn't have any problems when you got your GF3. Enjoy.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Here you go, a GF2 GTS smacking a GF3 around while the GF3 is barely beating a measly Radeon 64, ENJOY!

<A HREF="http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/nvidia/geforce3/review/UT_min_1024.gif" target="_new">GF3 at its best, yea, no problems with the drivers in the beginning</A>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
<A HREF="http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/nvidia/geforce3/review/UT_avg_640.gif" target="_new">GF3 getting smacked by a Radeon 64 in Unreal Tournament, yep, GF3 drivers working good in the beginning</A>

ATI can have tremendous growth in performance with their drivers on the Radeon 8500 because in reality the hardware is superior to what Nvidia has right now. Now if ATI does or not is the question. Nvidia did doesn't mean ATI will.

G

Thing is, that was probably with ALL of the new features turned on... i dont know because you gave us an image which says nothing about the test setup and reasons for this. Im too lazy to look for the review and ive been distracted by the MSI GF3 review :p

G

I believe that you are talking from your head and not somewhere down south of that. In Tom's article it was apparent that the 8500 was mostly only a few fps slower than the Ti500. The Ti500 is just a higher clocked gf3 that first appeared in May. The 8500 is only now making it's appearence. Give it 5-6months time to develop its software and see what happens. The folks at ATI are appearing to be very earnest in backing their products in every way. They know now that they do not have the time to stumble with bad software updates. Their time is now and if they mess up then their future will go the way of 3dfx or matrox and this world will be dominated by a monster called geforccilla. BTW, I have heard that there is a new software update coming at the end of this month or early next month.

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Fellas, I picked up my 8500 today at the local best buy. Easy install, no probs what so ever, games are flyin, image is supurb, 3dmark scores are high. No smoothvision of course, but i believe that will be implemented with the next driver set. Somebodys review was rippin this card for it`s performance in giants, but i`m astounded at the results i`m getting. Maybe it`s because I went from a pci card to an agp but [-peep-] man this thing is sweet.I want that smoothvision soon though.

You`ll get nothing and like it.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It's cause ya went from a PCI- same w/ me when I went from a 200MHz 2mb vid card to a 1.2 Ghz (soon to be 1.7GHz b/c water cooling), w/ Quadro DCC and 512 DDR (may soon be 1280MB).

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!