Radeon 8500 is my Choice

xrazorx

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
Although I was dissapointed as I'm sure many of us were, I was also very excited. Even with ATI's clearly messed up drivers, the Radeon 8500 held it's own against the 110% optimized nVidia gear. It tells me that for $100 less ($225 vs $325) I am getting a lot more card and as long as it works, I can wait a little for better drivers. The 8500 is an impressive card. It seems like the sky's the limit if they can somehow get their drivers working. Hat's off to nVidia to the best drivers anywhere of any product but put me down for one 8500 please.

G

I am gonna buy the Ati too, for sure. It rocks, and is cheaper than Nvidia, hahahahaha. I had the Rage Pro too, and while it was slow, i liked the quality of the images. The drivers will be sorted out when i buy one, in january. Should give my P3 700 some more life-span, for sure.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I hope you guys are only gonna use this for games. Right now I've got a Quadro DCC, and regardless of what u tell me, it outperforms the 8500 in 3D S Max by a long shot. Plus, when I get my water cooling system, I'll OC (or try to) my Quadro DCC to 275MHz.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Good choice

Maybe you will have better produce with nvisia but what will lock your card in 1 year.R8500 with super driver vs geforce3 ti 500 with supra driver.Who will win my guess ATI.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

G

Bad choice according to anandtech where the geforce3 ti200 beats the radeon 8500 and the gf3 ti500 completely blows the 8500 away. Go check it out :)

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The performance differences weren't that great between either card, and given ATI's ability to make cards that have several good functions, like DVD/MPeg Playback, VIVO, and such, a Radeon 8500, or, when it is released, the Radeon 8500 All-in-wonder will make someone very happy.

Do you realy need to run Quake at 150+ FPS?

xrazorx

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
Yep, that article reinforces my thoughts- the 8500's got the potential. For $225 on pricewatch, it's worth the difference of $50 over the aging GeForce3 Ti200.

rep_stosd

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
$80 for the quadro dcc? Where did you get it and do they have any more? Have you tried using Maya with it? I saw the realtime Final Fantasy demo at Siggraph and was wondering how a DCC performed in the real world.

rep_stosd

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
yea 80$ for a Q-DCC?=/
even a G3 would cost you 300$ to turn into a Q-DCC.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

G

I only have one quick question.... What do you mean by "Aging GeForce3 Ti200??? The card was released 2 weeks ago. It's interesting to see a few folks sticking by their guns though.... Everyone on anandtech seems to be cancelling their 8500 orders and those that already have the card are returning them. Very interesting that folks can throw around 200-300$ on a video card that experts call "over priced, disappointing, .....". That's just my 2 cents.

G

Almost forgot something... Are you not aware that the games written to use the features of even the regular geforce3 still have not been released?? The regular geforce3 still has features that games haven't used yet. This is a fact. Some of the games are close to being released. It had already been said that developers cannot keep up with nvidia. Developers are claiming that the new games will rock the world now that they have learned the capabilities of the chipset. The gf3 is no where near "old technology". The gf3 Ti is just a baby.

one word or two maybe three or five.... lol...

ATI All in wonder RadeonDV with firewireports, VIVO, tv tuner, remote control!!!@!@!Q#@$@##%$%^&&^**&* show me a nvida card that can do all that!!!!!?????

for me i need features not all this horsepower crap! lol!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

If you ask me, at this point it really comes down to how you want to gamble. The 8500 right now appears to perform about on par with the Ti200, with the Ti200 coming out about $40 cheaper. To move to the GeForce3, you're paying $50 more than the 8500, and the Ti500 will set you back over $100 more. (these are ballpark prices)

The big gamble is: how will the cards perform a year from now?

This is a very relevant question for me because if I'm going to pay $200+ for a card, it needs to last me at least 3 years.

I think there is a very good likelihood that the 8500 will be able to outperform the Ti200 a year from now because it has much more potential and the performance gap is small. Will I gamble that the $40 extra will be worth it a year from now? Absolutely.

It is less likely that the 8500 will outperform a GeForce3 a year from now, but still quite possible. Will I gamble that the performance difference will be worth $50 more for the GeForce3? No, because again the potential for the Radeon to catch or surpass the Ge3 is still very real.

What about the big Ti500? Do I think the Radeon 8500 will be able to outperform this giant? No. Am I going to gamble that the performance difference will be worth $120 a year from now? No way! $120 is a good down-payment on the new card I will inevitably buy in a few years, and the 8500, even if it doesn't oust the Ti500, will do well until then (and it still has the potential to surpass the Ti500, although I honestly don't think it will happen).

So my choice -- the Radeon 8500 -- the best graphics investment on the market today.

The biggest factor here is the fact that the Radeon is not optimized yet and the Nvidia cards are very close. In order to get a substantial performance gain from Nvidia in the future, I will have to buy a new card. From the Radeon, I can expect good performance increases in the future for FREE from new drivers and Dx8.1 optimised software.

I know this was long, but IMO it summarises the whole debate.

Save the children :smile:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
My quadro has video in, and my comp has a remote control. Do i need anything else and will I use it? No. Do I wish to spare performance to get that? No. Do I use max a lot? Yes. Would Radeon be piece of [-peep-] for me that would only piss me off? YES. Get my point?

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

eden

Champion
I'd say that the GF3 is yet to be aging. Cuz those features it boasts, means that it will run whatever game uses them. This means that compatibility equals great frame rates because it uses its own stuff. I doubt from a year this card will be badly performing, cuz it is loaded with next-gen stuff. Someone show me a game that is frameskipping damn it! Even at max detail on 1024*768*32/Quincunx, much games are running over 50 FPS. I will get a GF3 and know that it will last me 2-3 years without upgrade.

i don't care what you need ... i have a college life i don't have time to be a hermit and play games 24/7 lol!

I need firewire ports for video and other firewire stuff for quick access for school. Like a firewire scanner. I need a tv tuner so i can actually watch tv. I have a remote also for my computer but the remote ati has is radio and looks so freakin cool.

I'm glad you're a stereotype geek that is all "nvidia is god" type bullshit.. why don't you join the [-peep-] cult you freakin weirdo... you think nvidia gives a crap about you? they just want your money...

fly down to earth sometime you freakin weirdo...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

Guys dig this, especially if you from Holland! The Radeon 8500 just showed up in the dutch pricewatch, and it is 1 dollar more expensive than the GeForce3 200!!!!(GeForce 200: 685 guilders, GeForce 500: 1100 guilders, R8500: 695 guilders) Now it is for sure, i am going to get me one, wouldn't you? All the guys on this dutch forum are going to get one, i called the retailer but they sold out in one hour. So i will be in the next-week shipment.Trust me the drivers will be fine, we only need one set of good drivers, not 10 like nvidia does :)

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
DUDE! Guess what- I too have a life, and teh most I spend playing games during the weekend is 1 hour. So stfu. I have nothing against a Radeon 8500, just that an "upgrade" from a Quadro DCC to Radeon would be senseless. And if you had any brains, you'd have realized that I use this for 3D Animation and such. I am not an Nvidia only person. In fact, IF the Radeon 8500 was better in max R4, I'd get it, but since it won't be then too bad. I like the Fire GL series, but haven't gotten one b/c they really suck for games. Oh, and for a remote I have a my Creative Labs SB Live! Platinum 5.1. For Tv (which I don't watch much so it doesn't matter much), I have 3 big screen Panasonics (which all have remotes). For scanner, I am getting a SCSI, so I don't need firewire. Next time, before u insult me, why don't you think over teh possibilities a bit?

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 10/17/01 08:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>