Radeon 8500DV owns the nvidia personal cinema

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well lets take a look at this page here.

<A HREF="http://www.techhard.com/docs/video/atiaion8500/atiaion8500_2.htm" target="_new">http://www.techhard.com/docs/video/atiaion8500/atiaion8500_2.htm</A>

Well compare the features on both cards shall we. Wow the Radeon 8500dv looks like its loaded compared to the nVidia Personal Cinema.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that and the A4, a Herc XP, and the Klipsch 5.1 will give me the <b>Ultimate MM system!!!</b>

Currently:

Abit KG7R
AMD 1 GHz @ 1250
1/2 GB Mushkin HP DDR
Leadtek GF2 GTS --> Quadro2 Pro [AGP]
ATI RADEON 32MB SDR [PCI]
2x Sony Trinitron 21"
SB Live Platinum
Win2K SP2

I still can't decide what HDD's or what RAID configuration I'll want.

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">link</A>

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
will the 8500DV support dual monitors??? It doesn't seem like it from what thier website says
Connect to a TV and monitor <b>or</b> digital flat panel display at the same time using ATI’s leading-edge HYDRAVISION™ technology.

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">link</A>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Do keep in mind that ATI has been perfecting their features for a while now, while this is the first incarnation of Nvidia's counter. If it seems underfeatured, I don't doubt that it is... however, it is a step in the right direction, and Nvidia has plenty of time to mature their own feature set before these things become major deciding factors for the majority of people. I myself don't have a use for personal cinema OR all the Radeon stuff at the moment. I have a Raptor from canopus for whenever I need to do some video editing (which is far less often than I thought I would be using it when I bought it). And on the rare occasions I need tv out.... my GTS has that and it works just fine.

Point is, most people don't even need the features of personal cinema, let alone those of the Radeon. In the next few years that will likely be changing, but Nvidia knows when they need to adhere to a schedule - if they feel the need to compete in the feature department, they're second or third generation offerings will likely be just as full bodied as ATI's solution.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Besides, isn't there supposed to be a 'GF3 Advanced' with all the video bangs and whistles?

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

Makaveli

Splendid
I read that the Radeon 8500 does support Divx/MPEG4 in hardware but just decoding and not Encoding. So you will still be waiting a couple hours when converting. But when watching a divx Movie Cpu Usage should be very low. Just like when watching a DVD MOVIE on any ATI card.

For people with 400-600 Mhz CPu's this will be very helpful.
Providing alot smother playback than not having the feature!

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I am actually considering an 8500….but NOT 4 ANY of the following features that GF doesn't have:
Please forgive my sarcasm, I'm feeling spunky today.

output via DVI-I to YPrPb dongle - Dang, what will we all do without our dongles?
Digital Audio output via S/PDIF - Yeah…when I get that kind of connector, I'll worry about it - not
Stereo TV-tuner GF-None announced to date…RADEON-NTSC: NA & Japan PAN-European Stereo - another handy feature 4 us non Euro-types?
WHQL Capture ("Certification") - Well I insist on being "certifiied" ;)
Stop Motion Capture - bummer, now I can't take a snapshots of those hooters to make a desktop background for my wife
Pitch shifted audio during fast forward and slow motion - My JCV VCR doesn't even have that…no loss really though.
European Additive Channel Scan - Whatever shall we non-Euros do without that?….PS, I live in California.
Integrated European Teletext support - same as above
Integrated Media Library - Which means????
Parental Program Lock - can't have the kiddies taking "Stop Motion Capture" of the hooters now can we?
Channel Surfing with live preview and user-defined channel list - That tears it….GF has 2 get one of those! hehe

But seriously, none of these features is what I buy a video card for. And personally I'd skip all these features on the 8500 if I could
knock a few bucks off the price instead!

I know,… six people are already typing replies, swearing they have to have these features. But I can't help but think (IMHO),
that the general video card buying masses really don't even know what this stuff means, let alone have some kind of need for it.
Most people just don't care much about this stuff right now. Perhaps in a couple years??…maybe.

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain